Role: Corporate Counsel
Location: Sydney, Australia
The Senior Corporate Counsel role will be a Sydney based New South Wales, Australian jurisdiction qualified lawyer/solicitor (qualification in other APAC regions will be a definite plus), with rights to reside and work within Australia, with a valid legal degree from a recognized University, of approx. 10 years Post Qualification Experience, and have an expertise in technology contracts with and strong emphasis on cloud-based services and software licensing agreements, Reseller and Partner Agreements and ancillary contractual experience. This individual will focus on cloud subscription agreements and related cloud-based transactional matters, as well as inbound and outbound software licensing and distribution agreements, and global enterprise licensing transactions. This attorney/Solicitor will be responsible for a broad range of technology transactions and for counseling business and sales units on a variety of legal matters within the APAC region. To be successful within the organization, the Senior Corporate Counsel must embrace the core values of the organization and quickly establish him/herself as a team player who is both flexible and intellectually nimble, with an enhanced commercial/business perspective, and be a self-starter who can immediately contribute in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
• Negotiating, drafting and closing cloud and software licensing and technology agreements and related matters such as subscription agreements, reseller and teaming agreements, subcontractor agreements, RFP responses, statements of work, direct and indirect licensing agreements, Cloud-based transactions, alliance/partnering agreements, enterprise software and support agreements, marketing agreements, and distribution/channel agreements;
• Knowledge of and engagement with data privacy and data security-related issues;
• Preparation of standard templates for recurring commercial transactions and to address new business models and legal and business requirements;
• Counseling and collaborating with business/sales clients, marketing, finance and other business functions necessary to effectively and efficiently accomplish assignments, and ensuring best practices in various legal areas such as antitrust, intellectual property protection, contract law, and others;
• Working with internal business partners on education and planning, and advising business leaders on significant legal matters impacting the business, including Cloud services, as well as the drafting and hands-on negotiation of diverse commercial agreements with global parties;
• Oversee a contract approval process, contract database, contract summaries, and a system for tracking contract performance after signing; and
• Maintain legal, compliance, corporate governance and other corporate records.
• The candidate must possess a law degree from an accredited law school and be a member in good standing with a Law Society in the New South Wales, Australian, Jurisdiction where the candidate is qualified.
• Proficient in commercial and contract law and have experience negotiating and drafting a variety of contracts including Cloud, software licensing, Partner distribution, OEM/ODM, and strategic transactions.
• Experience with corporate governance.
• Minimum of 10 years legal experience required, and gained from a combination of private practice and in-house roles.
• Customer-facing work experience and focus is a must.
• Substantial experience with top rated law firm or major high technology company required.
• Proficient knowledge of legal issues specific to the GDPR, Server/Storage/Cloud Computing industry.
• Demonstrated attention to detail, a good communicator, organized and possess excellent drafting skills.
• Executive presence and ability to interact directly with senior leadership.
• Demonstrated knowledge of, and ability to navigate, complex legal and regulatory compliance matters.
• Must have positive, problem-solving, business focused attitude with good judgment prioritizing workload in fast paced environment, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and complete projects accurately, on schedule.
• Must be a team player also able to self-start and work independently.
• Willingness to travel when required
• Assist in litigation and pre-litigation activities, including working with outside counsel to develop strategies to defend, resolve and prevent various forms of litigation.
• Track record of establishing strong working relationships with internal/external business clients and within the legal department.
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to collaboratively work cross functionally with internal teams including finance, sales operations, product management and sales.
• Telecom, IVR, or similar industry experience helpful
• Experience with cross-border international contracts and language skills will also be taken into consideration.
• Excellent judgment, confident and comfortable, with a strong work ethic.
Genesys is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics #LI-MP1
Meet Some of Genesys's Employees
Chief People Officer
I believe in the golden rule. That means treating others the way i would want to be treated and that philosophy and that approach is through the entire human resources organization.
Back to top