Senior Revenue Accounting Manager
Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture backed, post Series C, NYC-based startup in our fourth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne and Washington DC. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Manager, Revenue Accounting to join our team. This newly-created position will be an integral part of the Accounting team, reporting to VP Controller. The Senior Manager, Revenue Accounting will hold responsibility for operational and technical accounting aspects of General Assembly’s (GA’s) revenue streams. This is an excellent opportunity to join a lean and nimble team at a growing company. The ideal candidate will have a formidable grasp on revenue recognition guidance and revenue accounting best practices, as well as have a process-oriented, customer service-based focus.
- Own the revenue cycle, including review of contracts to determine appropriate revenue recognition in accordance with current and emerging accounting guidance.
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, and other functions across the organization to streamline revenue data.
- Manage Revenue Accounting team, including overseeing the credit, billing and collection function.
- Responsible for the monthly revenue close, ensuring timely reporting in multiple divisions across various foreign entities.
- Develop a thorough understanding of GA’s services and revenue streams and document relevant revenue policies.
- Establish strong working relationship and partnership with Legal, Engineering, Sales, and Operations.
- Lead continuous review of processes and controls around revenue streams and identify improvements.
- Proactively research technical revenue issues and provide guidance on revenue questions related to new or non-standard contract terms, service offerings, and marketing programs.
- Ensure customer arrangements booked in the billing and other systems reflect revenue recognition requirements.
- Model revenue for new contracts per GAAP vs. revenue and cash flow per contract.
- Provide necessary revenue recognition inputs to the FP&A team so that the revenue forecast reflects any required GAAP adjustments.
- Work with Sales and Legal teams to provide guidance on deal structure while maintaining adherence to revenue recognition policy and booking requirements.
- Review non-standard contracts upon request for pricing, discounts, BESP/VSOE requirements, payment and commercial terms, and overall economics to determine the proper revenue recognition. Must provide timely feedback to the sales team on pricing and deal structure proposals.
- Review language in customer contracts to best capture the commercial and financial terms approved
- Serve as main point of contact for revenue inquiries during financial statement audits.
- 8+ years of revenue recognition experience.
- Must be up-to-date with current revenue recognition laws and regulations.
- Must have experience building out billing and collections departments.
- Must have experience streamlining and automating processes.
- Big 4 Public Accounting and corporate experience preferred.
- Bacheor’s degree in Accounting.
- CPA is a must.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and IFRS revenue recognition pronouncements (ASC 605 and ASC 606).
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, including ability to explain complex technical subject matter to audience external to Accounting.
- Ability to work effectively across multiple teams at GA.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, challenging environment where decisions you make will have a large impact.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong financial systems background; Oracle experience is a plus.
Meet Some of General Assembly's Employees
Director, Corporate Training Solutions
Michelle and her team provide General Assembly’s Fortune 500 clients with the solutions they need. She oversees all aspects of implementation—from design to execution—necessary for digital success.
Back to top