Data Science Instructor Lead
Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture backed, post Series D, NYC-based startup in our fifth year. General Assembly transforms creators into thinkers through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne and Washington DC.. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to teach our brand new full time class:
Our Data Science Immersive course is a brand-new, life-changing educational experience where students leave with the skills and mindsets to take on new careers as Data Analysts and Scientists. We are looking for an instructor to spearhead this transformation through leading General Assembly’s Data Science Immersive course.
Why Teach the Data Science Immersive?
If you are looking to make a life-changing impact by doing what you know and love, this is the position for you. Through this unparalleled opportunity, you will:
- Deepen your own skills by guiding students through a rigorous journey where they begin as driven novices and leave as empowered data analysts and scientists
- Facilitate a supportive and energetic community that lasts well beyond the course
- Hone your own leadership skills by working with an instructional team and classroom community
Who are we?
General Assembly is a venture-backed, NYC-based startup focusing on education for individuals and enterprises in the areas of technology, design, and entrepreneurship. We currently have physical classrooms in 13 cities across 4 continents, with tens of thousands of students coming through our doors.
Skills and Qualifications
You have at least 3+ years of professional data science experience.
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and trajectories of the newest generation of data scientists.
- You are the person that your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out.
- Must Haves:
- You are an expert in SQL, Python and related Python libraries (pandas, numpy).
- You have fluency in the following topics: statistics; manipulation of large data sets; data visualization techniques and tools such as Tableau, matplotlib; machine learning algorithms such as naive bayes, SVMs, decision trees, KNN, K-means clustering.
- Nice to haves:
- You are on top of big data trends
- You have previous data science or engineering teaching experience, through a course, team training, etc.
Responsibilities and Duties
- 2 weeks of planning and curriculum development followed by 12 full work weeks (5 days a week) of teaching, planning and content development.
- Work closely with two – three co-instructors to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress.
- Work alongside GA staff in order to best meet the needs and learning styles of your students.
- Guide students through the development of stellar projects that will showcase their abilities to hiring managers.
- Facilitate a dynamic and collaborative classroom community.
- Inspire students to persevere through the challenges of learning complex subjects
General Assembly is a licensed school in the state of New York and all instructors are required to be licensed by the State. To be employed by GA, you must submit an application to the State before your start date. The directions on how to become a licensed instructor will be shared with you if an offer of employment is made.
Meet Some of General Assembly's Employees
Director, Corporate Training Solutions
Michelle and her team provide General Assembly’s Fortune 500 clients with the solutions they need. She oversees all aspects of implementation—from design to execution—necessary for digital success.
Back to top