Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post Series D, NYC-based startup in our fifth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, Denver, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Singapore, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne and Washington DC.. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
We are seeking an Instructor Manager. This role will be responsible for managing all Instructional team members at General Assembly Atlanta, with a focus on hiring, training, and supporting professional growth. The Instructor Manager job is a crucial role- this person is responsible for managing and coaching our best-in-class practitioners, from a variety of fields including data science, software development and design, through success in supporting excellent student experiences. Proper onboarding of the instructors is crucial, including ensuring that all instructors complete our onboarding process, connect with the right individuals at global to understand the curriculum and hone excellent teaching skills. Most importantly, this individual must always remember that our instructors are changing lives in the classroom each day which is an exciting but difficult challenge- so being an empathetic leader is key to the success of this role.
- Identifying top instructional talent (and instructional associate talent) and operating as the hiring manager in their recruitment process to ensure the best practitioners are hired for instructional roles
- Daily check-ins, weekly 1:1 meetings with direct reports, career conversations and other coaching conversations with team
- Facilitating successful completion of all online and offline instructor training for new and current staff
- Onboarding instructors to Product and setting expectations for what success looks like in each of our Product lines
- Management of professional behavior, retention and ongoing professional development and growth of these positions
- Planning and scheduling of instructors- ensuring that all instructional teams are the right size and mix for the class size and course they’ll be teaching
- Partnering with the Regional Director on managing the local P&L and budget
- Handling student issues; he/she will be responsible for mediating conflict and defusing challenging situations in a positive, empathetic and professional manner
- Previous experience in successfully managing 1 or more team members
- Previous experience in education or corporate training
- Proficiency in hiring and building teams
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Managing and measuring work
- Problem solving
- Learning on the fly
- Strategic hiring and staffing
- Drive for results
Meet Some of General Assembly's Employees
Director, Corporate Training Solutions
Michelle and her team provide General Assembly’s Fortune 500 clients with the solutions they need. She oversees all aspects of implementation—from design to execution—necessary for digital success.
Back to top