Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post Series D, NYC-based startup in our fifth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, Denver, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Singapore, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne and Washington DC.. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
Who you are
We are looking for an eager Engineering Manager to join our growing team, and help us mentor and grow our team. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll directly manage teams of engineers working on different projects, strategic planning of the those projects, and develop/grow the engineers on your team.
- 5+ years of software development with a good foundation in web development
- Multiple years managing developers across multiple initiatives
- Proven track record of delivering as both an engineer and as a leader
- You are passionate about enabling teams to build things that are larger than any one person’s contributions
- Strong knowledge of database design, data modeling and have had to tune production databases
- You are passionate about enabling productivity with technology, whether proprietary or third party
- You are not a language specialist and know how to use the right tool for the job
- You're a kind & respectful person, invested in contributing to a wonderful team culture (bullies & big egos strictly not allowed)
- You are occasionally enthusiastic to the point of being profoundly uncool
- You get insanely excited by at least 1 thing that has absolutely nothing to do with computers
What we build
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to game-changer. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. What are these teams working on?
- Data & systems that support our global campus business - https://generalassemb.ly/locations
- Evolving large applications into an ecosystem of microservices
- Innovative online education experiences for consumer & enterprise users - https://generalassemb.ly/education/web-design-circuit
- Platforms to connect our community of students & alumni - http://profiles.ga.co
- Internal tools supporting every part of our organization
What it's like to be on the team
- We use GitHub for code review, Code Climate and Semaphore to keep entropy at bay, and Heroku to focus on building things
- We favor trying new things over fear of mistakes
- We are anti-dogmatic: use whatever code editor you like, pair-program when you like
- We try to seek a balance between sticking with what works and fearlessly exploring the new
- We are always learning, always teaching
- We are passionate about writing good code
- We apologize for and learn from our mistakes
- We have worked hard to build a culture of trust, continual improvement, and mutual support
We <3 remotes!
Even though GA is headquartered in New York City, more than half of our engineering team is not. We have devs located in various states across the country as well as in the Netherlands and the UK. Even our New York devs spent the odd day or two working from home or elsewhere.
We are serious about making remote collaboration work, with tools like Slack, Skype, and Screenhero becoming a big part of our daily lives.
Twice a year, we fly the whole engineering team to New York for a few days of workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures, and an epic hackathon.
Position is full-time with competitive salary, stock options and great benefits. Benefits include: 401k, iPhone + cell plan, Macbook Pro, medical + dental + vision insurance, MTA transit credit and discounted gym membership/health benefit (in NYC).
Back to top