Director, Learning & Instruction
Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post Series D, NYC-based startup in our fifth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, Denver, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Singapore, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne and Washington DC.. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for overseeing the quality, training, and performance/learning development of our global, distributed instructional workforce. This includes consumer facing instructors in our classrooms, as well as our client facing facilitators for our B2B clients and Mentors of our online programs. You will be a critical member of our Product leadership team, partnering with our Director, Curriculum Development, Director of Product, and CPO to ensure we are providing scalable, high quality and impactful education experiences globally that drive student learning and outcomes, or achieve clients’ organizational goals. You will assess, re-define, and implement instructional quality expectations, directly managing our Department Chairs and matrix managing our distributed team of instructional coaches. You will also partner with the Talent team on integrating Instructor performance management into the company performance management practices to provide consistent evaluative and developmental opportunities for our instructors, both as educators and as practitioners in their field.
- Manage matrixed remote global department chairs who are subject matter experts, to develop their adult-learning skills and classroom (physical/virtual) management skills. Partner with matrix managers for development/coaching.
- Hiring and developing instructors, including keeping them engaged and defining growth paths.
- Developing best-in-class learning practices and blueprints for new instructor on-boarding and on-going coaching and development
- Evaluate and develop instructor coaching rubrics and objective evaluation criteria that is global, but can optimize for varying local market/locale needs
- Manage matrix instructor coaches to utilize rubrics and in-class (physical/virtual) observations to identify development opportunities
- Contribute to Learning & Development activities across the org, including for internal employees
- Ensure strong collaboration and alignment with field leadership team etc…
- Continually access unique expertise and view points from around the organization in order to ensure practices and strategies etc…
- Experience running large scale Learning and Development programs, training distributed field teams, train-the-trainer, and classroom and field class settings as well as virtual/online learning settings (both synchronous and asynchronous)
- Familiar with learning management systems and adult education
- Knows how to translate detailed subject-matter-expertise into learning and development plans, quality metrics, and on-going performance improvement for teachers/trainers
- Understands the dynamics of a field distributed workforce, and how best to engage in on-going dialog in a matrixed organization structure.
- Experience leading training in a global context, or multi-market context to understand global and regional differences.
Meet Some of General Assembly's Employees
Director, Corporate Training Solutions
Michelle and her team provide General Assembly’s Fortune 500 clients with the solutions they need. She oversees all aspects of implementation—from design to execution—necessary for digital success.
Back to top