General Assembly is seeking a generalist Data Engineer, who is excited about taking ownership of our data pipeline, and will have a significant impact upon the business. While not in the realm of big data - we’re focused primarily on communication, process, and design of our models, with continuous improvement to our data pipeline.
Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post-Series C, NYC-based startup in our fourth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne, and Washington DC. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
The Data Engineering Team
- We are a small team scaling to meet the data needs of a growing business.
- As part of the Engineering team, we collaborate with application engineers to build and manage a wide variety of data sets, deliver near-real-time monitoring of key business metrics, as well as provide longer term trend analysis.
- Our current stack is comprised of AWS EC2, Heroku, Python, PostgreSQL, Redshift, re:dash, and Looker. Help us get the most out of these tools and evaluate new ones.
- Work on the data pipeline that feeds our data warehouse from a variety of sources.
- Assist with the development of a BI strategy to support current and future needs through technology.
- Support and advise all parts of the global business on their data needs.
- Write robust, well-tested, production code in support of the business intelligence systems.
- 3+ years production experience in data management and ETL processes.
- 3+ years in a production level language (Python, Ruby, Java)
- Strong SQL skills.
- Experience with a columnar datastore, preferably Redshift.
- A passion for open, collaborative communication, and a strong desire for maintaining transparency across business units and the team.
- You're a kind & respectful person, invested in contributing to a wonderful team culture (bullies & big egos strictly not allowed)
- You get insanely excited by at least 1 thing that has absolutely nothing to do with computers
What it's like to be on the team
- We try to seek a balance between sticking with what works and continually improving our existing patterns
- We are always learning, always teaching
- We are passionate about writing good code
- We apologize for and learn from our mistakes
- We have worked hard to build a culture of trust, continual improvement, and mutual support
Position is full-time with competitive salary, stock options and great benefits. Benefits include: 401k, iPhone + cell plan, Macbook Air + Thunderbolt monitor, medical + dental + vision insurance, MTA transit credit and 50% discounted gym membership (in NYC).
Back to top