Voted #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company by Fast Company in 2015, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post-Series D startup based in New York City. We transform thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. For individuals, we offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events at international campuses and online; for Fortune 500 companies, we offer training programs and partnerships that spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective methods of collaboration.
What We're Looking For
General Assembly has opened a new campus in Providence, RI and is looking for a team member to lead these efforts on the ground.
In this role, you will own and run day-to-day operations and production of courses and workshops. Our first Web Development Immersive (WDI) full-time program is already underway, and you will be responsible for ensuring that students have a great experience in the program. You will also support students individually as their career coach as they begin their job searches in 2017. Additionally, you will help raise brand awareness and build operations for market expansion and lead efforts to launch short-form classes, workshops, events, and potentially additional part-time and full-time courses in Providence in 2017.
There is tremendous growth and leadership potential within this temp-to-perm role. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the Providence technology and startup network and is excited to lead a new initiative to grow that ecosystem for General Assembly.
- You will be responsible for ensuring successful completion of these courses: Full-time WDI program (immediately); Classes, workshops, and events (beginning 2017); as well as potential Part-time evening/weekend courses (2017).
- You will manage all aspects of program execution and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty. From making sure the instructors show up on time to checking the AV to working with partners and coordinating program marketing, you ensure everything is in its right place.
- You will work closely with and help manage the team of Providence course instructors, including WDI instructors and additional instructors to be hired.
- You will be the initial and primary point of contact for instructors, students, local partners, Rhode Island-based companies, and all visitors to the new GA Providence campus, providing excellent customer service and connecting these stakeholders with the appropriate GA team members in Boston and New York.
- The goal of the Career Coach is to ensure students are supported as they start to think about their next professional steps and graduates are prepared and confident in their job search. A balance of ensuring that graduates are empowered to find jobs in a timely manner, as well as find roles that they are passionate about, is critical for this role.
- Coaching and counseling responsibilities: Ensure all job-seeking students & graduates have a smooth transition from the classroom to job seeking and that they feel supported during this process. Reduce anxiety for students & graduates around their job search through clear communication. Help students identify their personal goals to best impact their job search & educational experience.
- Educate students & graduates of immersive programs on skills needed to perform an effective job search. Lead both recurring one-on-one coaching sessions and classroom-based career programming.
- Recommend GA grads to local employers based on personal strengths and interests. Maintain a high level of support and follow-up with all employer partners and nonprofit partners in our network. Provide account management for GA’s employer network.
- Plan and host high-impact direct hire events to grow the size and engagement of GA’s employer network.
Desired Skills + Experience:
- You are a passionate evangelizer for the local startup and technology community and have been based in Providence for 2-3 years. Candidates with a strong local network are preferred.
- Detail-oriented project manager. You have experience managing multiple projects across function areas and feel comfortable wearing many hats.
- You are a self-starter who can marshal resources effectively and you are comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- You are comfortable with remote work and excited about being GA’s sole representative (from an administrative side) on the ground in Providence.
- Dynamic speaker; engaging & comfortable both one-on-one and delivering to a group; comfortable interfacing with adult students from diverse backgrounds as well as local business leaders.
- High emotional intelligence; able to empathize with others and can handle other people’s stress.
- Previous counseling/coaching experience preferred.
- Previous event planning experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years professional experience.
Meet Some of General Assembly's Employees
Director, Corporate Training Solutions
Michelle and her team provide General Assembly’s Fortune 500 clients with the solutions they need. She oversees all aspects of implementation—from design to execution—necessary for digital success.
Back to top