Supervising Attorney II - Piscataway, NJ
Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, supervises a team of attorneys and support staff in the handling of case files. Represents GEICO and/or GEICO Insureds, and defends arbitrations and lawsuits filed in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction. Required Education and Experience: License in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions; Minimum of 7 years experience in applicable area(s) of practice and demonstrated sufficient case handling as the attorney with primary trial and /or arbitration responsibility in cases of moderate severity and complexity
1. Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, interviews and/or approves job applicants for employment. Conducts and/or reviews associate performance appraisals. Initiates or approves salary adjustments, performance ratings, and other personnel changes. Counsels associates and takes disciplinary action or terminates the employment of associates as appropriate.
2. Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, plans and controls activities of a team of Attorneys and support staff. Coaches associates and leads workflow of lower level staff attorneys and support staff.
3. Researches laws and prepares legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda.
4. Renders opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department.
5. Prepares and handles pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath based on jurisdiction.
6. Defends by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable.
7. Adheres to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies and operating principles.
8. Meets attendance standard of the business location, to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with subordinates and management.
9. Meets the requirements specified below.
Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Back to top