Senior SQL Server DBA II
Ready to make an impact ? If so, please read on!
GEICO'S SQL Server Engineering team is seeking a highly qualified Senior SQL Server DBA II . This is for Microsoft SQL Server not Oracle or other DBSM systems. You will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, diagnosing and performance tuning of critical SQL Server database systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a "hands-on" position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You will be responsible for triaging and optimizing application and platform related performance issues. The candidate will also be responsible for ensuring database systems and services are certified for operational readiness (desired state configuration, security, health and performance). You will be a subject matter expert on SQL and looking for a challenge in large enterprise environment, and must be able to lead applications and projects independently with excellent communication skills.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Contribute to the creation of processes and procedures to minimize any potential downtime scenarios
• Contribute to the creation of standards for SQL Server database administration that supports the use of optimal database server resources and performance
• Lead performance monitoring and tuning of assigned projects and communicate with other teams for identifying root cause of all database related issues
• Assist junior engineers in managing SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems
• Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security
• Design, troubleshoot and optimize SSIS and ETL packages to meet business needs
• Design, troubleshoot and optimize SSRS reports to meet business needs
• Performance tuning, ongoing maintenance, backup/ recovery, security, auditing, production support, migration,
• Serve as escalation point for troubleshooting minor to major problems on an as-needed basis; often requiring time sensitive response and pro-active communication to different groups within the organization Requirements
• Participate in the 24/7 rotational On-Call schedule
Would you like to join this innovative team? If so, do you meet these qualifications?
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer science or related field is strongly desired
• 8+ years of experience administering large databases in a high transaction, 24x7 Microsoft SQL Server database environment
• Advanced experience in database monitoring, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and high availability strategies for SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016 and SQL Server in Azure IaaS
• Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization, using native and third-party monitoring and troubleshooting tools. Working knowledge of Systems Center Operations Manager (SCOM) and IDERA diagnostic Manager is desired.
• Advanced knowledge of SQL Server backup and recovery strategies
• Experience defining hardware requirements and storage capacity planning for development, testing, QA and production for capacity planning and performance.
• Advanced knowledge of SQL Server High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
• Advanced knowledge and experience administrate ring Windows Server, including Active Directory and failover clustering
• Production support experience should include support of SSIS, SSRS, replication, database mirroring and SQL Reporting Services. In depth experience with DacPac, BacPac and IsPac concept and deployment and automation of database objects is required
• Ability to write automated scripts and strong knowledge of system tables and DMV's is required
• Experience working with Microsoft Azure IAAS and PAAS solutions. Working experience with SQL Server on IAAS and Azure SQL DB a plus
• Experience working with data analytics teams and business intelligence tools especially PowerBi
• Experience with SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL Server Integration Services and/or SQL Server Analysis Services.
• Advanced working knowledge of Firewall and network security concepts
• Advanced working knowledge of Windows Server management such as disk administration, general performance health counters and overall server configuration
• Good working knowledge of Networking concepts such as subnetting, telnetting, IPV4 routing protocols and overall network connectivity
• Understanding and experience with SAN hardware and administration
• Understanding of Virtual Server environments
• MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Back to top