Senior SQL Server Database Engineer
- Chevy Chase, MD
The SQL Server Engineering team is seeking a highly qualified Senior SQL Server Database Engineer to support our Microsoft SQL Servers. The Engineer will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, diagnosis and performance tuning of critical SQL Server database systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a "hands-on" position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for triaging and optimizing application and platform related performance issues. The candidate will also be responsible for ensuring database systems and services are certified for operational readiness (desired state configuration, security, health and performance). The candidate must be a subject matter expert on SQL and must able to lead applications and projects independently.
- Lead performance monitoring and tuning of assigned projects and communicate with other teams for identifying root cause of all database related issues. Proactively support ongoing maintenance, backup/ recovery, security, auditing and production support.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Design, troubleshoot and optimize SSIS and ETL packages and SSRS reports to meet business needs
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Routinely evaluates/ implements improved methods or processes for administering and maintaining databases and servers.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Participate in design and architecture review of the databases and applications. Lead efforts with database topology review and communicate with multiple teams to finalize optimal design for databases and applications.
- Serve as escalation point for troubleshooting minor to major problems on an as-needed basis; often requiring time sensitive response and pro-active communication to different groups within the organization Requirements
- Contribute to the creation of processes, procedures and standards for SQL Server database administration that supports the use of optimal database server resources and performance to minimize potential downtime scenarios
- Defining requirements for automating routine database service delivery processes and collaborating with peers to develop and enhance existing database service delivery automation solutions
- Implements and maintains automated database maintenance plans and backup routines using standard methodologies.
- Participate in the 24/7 rotational On-Call schedule.
- 8+ years of experience administering large databases in a high transaction, 24x7 Microsoft SQL Server database environment.
- Advanced skills in resolving database locking conflicts/blocking and resource utilization contention
- Ability to work with database developers and engineers to analyze database performance and identify problems in areas such as: execution plans, index coverage, and SQL server statistics. Demonstrate ability to solve complex database administration problems.
- Advanced experience in database monitoring, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and high availability strategies for SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016 and SQL Server in Azure IaaS
- A thorough understanding of Performance Monitoring, Tuning and Optimization, using native and third-party monitoring and troubleshooting tools like IDERA/Redgate/OMS MMA or Dynatrace is required
- Advanced knowledge of SQL Server backup and recovery strategies. Experience defining hardware requirements and storage capacity planning for development, testing, QA and production for capacity planning and performance
- Advanced knowledge SQL Server Disaster Recovery (DR) options, AlwaysOn availability groups and experience administering Windows Server, including Active Directory, Failover clustering, database partitioning, security and encryption
- In depth experience supporting SSIS, SSRS, replication, database mirroring, SQL Reporting Services, DacPac, BacPac, IsPac concept and deployment/automation of database objects is required
- Advanced PowerShell scripting experience with ability to write automated scripts and strong knowledge of system tables and DMV's is required.
- Must be self-motivated, able to work in a team oriented environment as well as possess the ability to organize, plan and lead projects independently. Share new ideas with the team and be able to think on your feet and recommend solutions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, rapidly develop proficiency in new skills with a strong work ethic and a professional demeanor
- MCDBA or MCSE: Data Platform Required with at least MCSA SQL Server 2012/2016
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer science or related field is strongly desired.
- Experience working with Microsoft Azure IAAS and PAAS solutions. Working experience with SQL Server on IAAS and Azure SQL DB is a plus
- Knowledge of PowerShell for SQL is a plus
- Experience working with data analytics teams and business intelligence tools especially PowerBi
- Advanced working knowledge of Firewall and network security concepts
- Advanced working knowledge of Windows Server management such as disk administration, general performance health counters and overall server configuration
- Good working knowledge of Networking concepts such as subnetting, telnetting, IPV4 routing protocols and overall network connectivity.
- Understanding of current hardware systems, RAID and disk subsystems commonly used in fault tolerant production environments.
- Understanding and experience with SAN hardware and administration.
- Understanding of Virtual Server environments.
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus
- Previous experience working as part of an Agile/Scrum organization #LI-AA1 #DI-AA
Note: The safety of our associates, both current and future, is GEICO's highest priority. At this time, most of our associates are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area. Once GEICO determines it is safe for associates to return to the office, candidates may be required to work in our Chevy Chase, MD.
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Back to top