Senior Data Scientist
- Chevy Chase, MD
GEICO's Data Science team uses predictive analytics and innovative machine learning models to create value from data. We solve problems across GEICO, from Marketing to Claims and Underwriting, and are responsible for developing and driving strategic modeling initiatives. We see our projects through the entire data science lifecycle, from problem definition to data exploration, data munging, modeling, analysis, and deployment into production systems. We maintain a close partnership with IT to ensure that our models can be deployed quickly and monitored in a flexible deployment framework.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will serve as a technical and thought leader on this diverse and highly skilled team. You will design and develop inventive solutions to drive innovation and delivery of organizational value. You'll synthesize large datasets and solve complex problems through the use of advanced machine learning and statistical modeling. You'll work in a highly collaborative, team environment, guiding and mentoring junior data scientists and collaborating with multiple stakeholders. You will assist management in the communication of insights and the implementation of impactful data science solutions across the organization.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline, such as statistics, data science, computer science, mathematics, engineering, physics, etc.
- 4+ years of experience in designing, developing, evaluating, and deploying predictive modeling, machine learning, advanced analytics
- Deep understanding and experience with advanced statistics and modern machine learning predictive techniques, including GLMs, decision trees, forests, boosted ensembles, neural networks, deep learning, and graph analytics.
- Superior coding skills using common data science tools, including Python (strongly preferred), R, Linux/Unix command line and shell scripting.
- Excellent skill and significant experience in data processing using SQL, Hive, Impala, Spark, or equivalent querying language
- Strong experience with distributed storage and big data computing technology, such as AWS, Hadoop, or Spark
- Excellent communication skills and experience in working with stakeholders
- Passion for extracting hidden insights and building machine learning systems that enhance business outcomes
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Back to top