Legal Secretary III- Des Moines, IA
Primary Position Objective:
Under limited supervision, performs senior level legal secretarial and administrative duties for a Staff Counsel office. Maintains working knowledge of legal concepts, practices, and Staff Counsel procedures applicable by jurisdiction.
Prepares pleadings, routine motions, notices, jury demands, routine discovery, and correspondence of a non-dictated nature, within the case management system, for attorney review and signature. Manages and monitors the status of court filings and suits via mail, in-person, or e-filing.
Maintains attorney calendars by scheduling, rescheduling, confirming, and/or canceling appointments within agreed parameters. May schedule other appointments, including but not limited to conferences, examinations under oath, and depositions. Creates diary entries, journals, and statistical records for the attorneys.
Reviews invoices to ensure compliance with the Expense Management & Controls Memorandum. Prepares checks in accordance with established procedures and sends to the appropriate individual to facilitate payment.
Participates in the training and onboarding process for Staff Counsel Support Staff.
A ssists with data collection and prepares departmental reports for Staff Counsel Attorneys.
Answers, screens, and logs voicemail messages and incoming/outgoing calls to GEICO personnel, clients, claimants, opposing counsel and /or courts for the attorneys. Greets visitors.
Responds to general inquiries regarding office procedure and appointments. Refers complex inquiries to the appropriate attorney or support staff member for further handling.
Sorts, logs, distributes, date-stamps and/or files items received by mail. Performs basic faxing, scanning, typing, filing, and copying requests.
Organizes and maintains court case files to include opening, closing, and storage.
Tracks office supply inventory and orders additional supplies as needed.
T racks, receives or secures check draft stock.
Meets attendance standard at business location to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with management and co-workers.
Adheres to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies and operating principles.
Meets the requirements specified below:
- Must be able to, with or without accommodation, perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to seeing, hearing, typing and speaking.
- Work activities involve combinations of sitting, walking, kneeling, climbing, pulling, bending, lifting, carrying and standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting skills.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Based on jurisdiction, may need to obtain and maintain a notary license.
- Must have the ability to type at least 50 words per minute.
- Position requires a minimum of 5 years' experience as a legal secretary handling personal injury matters (At least 2 years as a grade 61 Staff Counsel Legal Secretary).
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Meet Some of GEICO's Employees
As a senior software analyst, Joy works as a liaison between software users and software developers. She is also a SCRUM product owner who conveys the ideas and vision of the project to the team.
Back to top