Legal Assistant II - Concord, CA
Energetic, detail-oriented Legal Secretary needed for busy Staff Counsel in Concord, California. Successful candidate will assist attorneys in civil litigation matters.
Under general supervision, PERFORMS mid-level legal secretarial and administrative duties for a Staff Counsel Office. MAINTAINS working knowledge of legal concepts, practices, and Staff Counsel procedures applicable by jurisdiction.
1. PREPARES pleadings, routine motions, notices, jury demands, routine discovery, and correspondence of a non-dictated nature, within the case management system, for attorney review and signature. MANAGES and MONITORS the status of court filings and suits via mail, in-person, or e-filing.
2. MAINTAINS attorney calendars by SCHEDULING, RESCHEDULING, CONFIRMING, and/or CANCELING appointments within agreed parameters. May SCHEDULE other appointments, including but not limited to conferences, examinations under oath, and depositions. CREATES diary entries, journals, and statistical records for the attorneys.
3. REVIEWS invoices to ensure compliance with the Expense Management & Controls Memorandum. PREPARES checks in accordance with established procedures and SENDS to the appropriate individual to facilitate payment.
4. ANSWERS, SCREENS, and LOGS voicemail messages and incoming/outgoing calls to GEICO personnel, clients, claimants, opposing counsel and /or courts for the Attorneys. GREETS visitors.
5. ASSISTS with data collection and PREPARES departmental reports for Staff Counsel Attorneys.
6. RESPONDS to general inquiries regarding office procedure and appointments. REFERS complex inquiries to the appropriate Attorney or support staff member for further handling.
7. SORTS, LOGS, DISTRIBUTES, DATE-STAMPS and/or FILES items received by mail. PERFORMS basic faxing, scanning, typing, filing, and copying requests.
8. ORGANIZES and MAINTAINS court case files to include opening, closing, and storage.
9. MEETS attendance standard at business location to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with management and co-workers.
10. TRACKS office supply inventory and ORDERS additional supplies as needed.
11. TRACKS, RECEIVES or SECURES check draft stock.
12. May PARTICIPATE in the training and onboarding process for Staff Counsel Support Staff.
13. MEETS the requirements specified below:
• Work activities involve combinations of sitting, walking, kneeling, climbing, pulling, bending, lifting, carrying and standing for extended periods.
• Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting skills.
• Must be able to multi-task.
• Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
• Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Based on jurisdiction, may need to obtain and maintain a notary license.
• Must have the ability to type at least 50 words per minute.• Position requires a minimum of 2 years' experience as a grade 60 Staff Counsel Legal Secretary legal secretary or 4 years' experience as a legal secretary handling personal injury litigation matters.
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
For candidates in the San Francisco or Los Angeles area:
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
GEICO will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Ordinance No. 184652
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Back to top