Lead Data Scientist
- Chevy Chase, MD
Working out of our Chevy Chase, MD/Washington DC office, GEICO's Data Science team uses predictive analytics and innovative machine learning models to create value from data. We solve problems across GEICO, from Marketing to Claims and Underwriting, and are responsible for developing and driving strategic modeling initiatives. We see our projects through the entire data science lifecycle, from problem definition to data exploration, data munging, modeling, analysis, and deployment into production systems. We maintain a close partnership with IT to ensure that our models can be deployed quickly and monitored in a flexible deployment framework.
As a Lead Data Scientist, you will work with a talented and diverse team of data scientists with responsibility to:
- Coordinate project teams of data scientists and supporting roles, acting as the primary point of contact in delivering end-to-end innovative, high-quality data solutions with measurable business value
- Build relationships with partner teams, frame and structure questions, as well as summarize and present key insights to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Collaborate with stakeholders to gather, consolidate, and validate business expertise throughout the project lifecycle
- Work with analysts to document requirements, assumptions, and methodology including validation, testing, and implementation strategies
- Coach, mentor, and guide data scientists to advance their career development in both technical and non-technical areas
- Facilitate regular peer reviews and conduct performance reviews
- Assist management with strategic efforts, portfolio management, and value delivery
- Assist management in the recruiting process in order to build a high-functioning Data Science team
- Apply project/team leadership and problem-solving skills to establish and promote best practices within the team
- Develop a high-level understanding of cutting-edge data science tools and techniques
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline, such as statistics, data science, computer science, mathematics, engineering, physics, etc. Advanced degree or certification in analytics-related field strongly preferred
- 5+ years of experience in a quantitative analyst and/or leadership role with 3+ years leading a team of quantitative analysts. Experience leading an Agile team preferred
- Demonstrated leadership competencies, including teambuilding, creative problem-solving, flexibility, and willingness to challenge the status quo
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and coaching skills in a business context and as it applies to team and project management
- Demonstrated experience in influencing business decisions and driving business value
- Working experience with analytical modeling tools such as R or Python, predictive modeling, machine learning, experimental design, and AB testing strongly preferred
- Completion of an analytical product critique may be required
- Experience in Telematics, Internet of Things - IoT, and/or Sensor Data
As a Lead Data Scientist , you'll enjoy our Total Rewards Program * to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Plan with Profit Sharing
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensures
Coverage begins with the pay period after hire date. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.
Back to top