Lead Data Scientist
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Decision Sciences & Transformation (DSaT) is seeking a Lead Data Scientist to manage the growing Data Science team. In Data Science we are pioneering GEICO adoption of emerging analytics technologies within a developing big data environment to drive company-level business process innovation over areas ranging from fraud detection to recommendation engine sales to online customer experience optimization. We routinely collaborate with teams throughout GEICO to implement data-driven solutions that tackle complex business problems.
As the Lead Data Scientist, you will work with a talented and diverse team of Data Scientists with the responsibility to:
- Coordinate project teams of Data Scientists and act as a primary point of contact in delivering innovative, high-quality data products with measurable business value.
- Build relationships with partner teams, frame and structure questions, as well as summarize and present key insights to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Leverage expert business/analytical knowledge to drive cross functional analytics projects from beginning to end and ensure adoption of analytical recommendations.
- Coach, mentor and guide Data Scientists to advance their career development within non-technical areas.
- Assist management with strategic efforts, portfolio management, and value delivery.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to gather, consolidate and validate business assumptions prior to undertaking analytical projects.
- Work with in-team analysts to document requirements, assumptions, and methodology including validation, testing, and implementation strategies.
- Facilitate regular peer reviews and performance reviews.
- Apply project/team leadership and problem solving skills to establish and promote best practices within the team.
- Develop a high level understanding of cutting edge data science tools and techniques.
- BA/BS Degree in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Finance, Economics, Operational Research, Project Management or related disciplines.
- 5+ years of experience in an analyst and/or leadership role in decision support analytic capacities.
- 3+ years leading a team of quantitative data analysts.
- Demonstrated leadership competencies such as teamwork, creative problem solving, flexibility and willingness to challenge the status quo.
- Excellent relationship management, strong team building, and the ability to work across business units and functions within complex organizations.
- Enthusiasm for leading a diverse and innovative team
- Strong intellectual curiosity and willingness to adapt data science concepts and tools to team problems.
- Demonstrated experience in influencing business decisions.
- Completion of an analytical product critique may be required.
- Excellent communication, facilitation and coaching skills in business context and as it applies to team and project management.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Master’s or PhD in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Finance, Economics, Operational Research, Project Management or related disciplines.
- 8+ years of experience in an analyst or leadership role in decision support analytic capacities.
- 5+ years quantitative data analyst leadership experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading Agile teams.
- Experience with statistical process control, experiment design, AB testing, and data mining.
- Skills or experience using analytics modeling tools.
LinkedIn tag: #LI-POST
DICE tag (IT only): DBT
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We’re an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates’ quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program*, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union
- Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click “Apply for Job” to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Meet Some of GEICO's Employees
Gabriela interfaces with several regional offices to manage and maintain the entire network of GEICO systems. Her goal is to keep services available at all times.
Back to top