Data Scientist, Senior
- Chevy Chase, MD
Working out of our Chevy Chase, MD/Washington DC office, GEICO's Data Science team uses predictive analytics and innovative machine learning models to create value from data. We solve problems across GEICO, from Marketing to Claims and Underwriting, and are responsible for developing and driving strategic modeling initiatives. We see our projects through the entire data science lifecycle, from problem definition to data exploration, data munging, modeling, analysis, and deployment into production systems. We maintain a close partnership with IT to ensure that our models can be deployed quickly and monitored in a flexible deployment framework.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will serve as a technical and thought leader on this diverse and highly skilled team. You will design and develop inventive solutions to drive innovation and delivery of organizational value. You'll synthesize large datasets and solve complex problems through the use of advanced machine learning and statistical modeling. You'll work in a highly collaborative, team environment, guiding and mentoring junior data scientists and collaborating with multiple stakeholders. You will assist management in the communication of insights and the implementation of impactful data science solutions across the organization.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline, such as statistics, data science, computer science, mathematics, engineering, physics, etc.
- 4+ years of experience in designing, developing, evaluating, and deploying predictive modeling, machine learning, advanced analytics
- Deep understanding and experience with advanced statistics and modern machine learning predictive techniques, including GLMs, decision trees, forests, boosted ensembles, neural networks, deep learning, and graph analytics.
- Superior coding skills using common data science tools, including Python (strongly preferred), R, Linux/Unix command line and shell scripting.
- Excellent skill and significant experience in data processing using SQL, Hive, Impala, Spark, or equivalent querying language
- Strong experience with distributed storage and big data computing technology, such as AWS, Hadoop, or Spark
- Excellent communication skills and experience in working with stakeholders
- Passion for extracting hidden insights and building machine learning systems that enhance business outcomes
As a Senior Data Scientist, you'll enjoy our GEICO Total Rewards Program* to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
• Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period
• Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
• 401(k) Plan with Profit Sharing
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Paid Training and Licensures
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
Coverage begins with the pay period after hire date. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.
Back to top