Big Data Engineer
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The Decision Sciences and Transformation (DSaT) team is seeking a driven Big Data Engineer to work on the Analytical Data Store (ADS) initiative. The ADS project will focus on building data stores for new analytical models to be built upon. These models will ultimately enable GEICO to optimize our internal and external processes and make them substantially more efficient. In this role, you will have an opportunity to work with a wide variety of teams to implement innovative solutions and new functionality that drives our business forward.
Ready to make an impact? If so, ready on!
- Bachelor's degree in a computer related field or equivalent professional experience is required
- 5 years' experience
- Real project experience as a Data Wrangler/Engineer across design, development, testing, and production implementation for a Big Data Project
- Minimum of 1 year experience on Spark. Exposure to Spark Streaming and MLLib preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience on Hadoop AND MapReduce AND Oozie AND Hive AND Pig
- Minimum of 2 years of experience on core Java OR Scala
- Exposure to Python OR iPython OR any other Scripting language
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase OR Cassandra OR MongoDB
- Exposure to Big Data Exploration, Profiling, Quality and Transformation
- Proficient in designing efficient and robust ETL/ELT workflows, schedulers, and event-based triggers
- Exposure to Data Mining preferred
- Scrum methodologies
- Knowledge about the Sales, Service and/or Claims applications is a plus
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program*, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union
- Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Meet Some of GEICO's Employees
Manager, Mobile Development
Lwin supports development and enhancements for enterprise applications on iOS and Android by leading a team of pros who help GEICO continue innovating.
Back to top