Big Data Engineer
At GEICO, we're about more than just insurance. Technology is at the core of everything we do, which means you'll get to work on innovative and influential tech projects in a successful company. Our associates are top-notch tech pros who are changing people's lives - just ask Forrester and Dynatrace-Keynote who've awarded our teams with top honors.
Our company culture is simple to sum up, it's all about giving our customers the very best. And, we know that the best way to do that is by giving our associates that crucial edge to succeed. Our team leaders and managers truly believe in the power of mentorship, and we host a number of monthly professional certification classes and user groups to keep your skills sharp.
The Decision Sciences and Transformation (DSaT) team is seeking a driven Big Data Engineer to work on the Single View of the Customer (SVOC) initiative. The SVOC project will focus on leveraging Big Data and new models to significantly improve personalization and customization for our customers. At the same time, SVOC will enable GEICO to optimize our internal processes to make our systems substantially more efficient.
So, how are we going to do this? The SVOC system will integrate with a large number of GEICO applications and will ultimately help make nearly all of our systems "smarter". And that's where you come in - when you join the team, you'll bring:
- Minimum experience of 5 years
- Real project experience as a Data Wrangler/Engineer across design, development, testing, and production implementation for a Big Data Project
- Minimum of 1 year experience on Spark. Exposure to Spark Streaming and MLLib preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience on Hadoop AND MapReduce AND Oozie AND Hive AND Pig
- Minimum of 2 years of experience on core Java OR Scala
- Expertise in performance tuning of Hive and Hadoop
- Exposure to Python OR iPython OR any other Scripting language
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase OR Cassandra OR MongoDB
- Exposure to Big Data Exploration, Profiling, Quality and Transformation
- Proficient in designing efficient and robust ETL/ELT workflows, schedulers, and event-based triggers
- Ability to quickly learn, adapt, and implement Open Source technologies
- Exposure to Data Mining preferred
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision as well as contribute to team efforts is required
- Strong critical thinking, decision making, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Outstanding time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including communicating technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Ability and desire to learn new skills and techniques
- A Bachelor's degree in a computer related field or equivalent professional experience is required
Let us know if you've also got experience with:
- Scrum methodologies
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Back to top