Big Data Engineer
The Decision Sciences and Transformation (DSaT) team is seeking a driven Big Data Engineer to work on the Single View of the Customer (SVOC) initiative. The SVOC project will focus on leveraging Big Data and new models to significantly improve personalization and customization for our customers. At the same time, SVOC will enable GEICO to optimize our internal processes to make our systems substantially more efficient. To do so, the SVOC system will integrate with a large number of GEICO applications via web services and will ultimately help make nearly all of our systems "smarter". In this role, you will have an opportunity to work with a wide variety of teams to implement innovative solutions and new functionality that drives our business forward.
- Minimum experience of 5 years
- Real project experience as a Data Wrangler/Engineer across design, development, testing, and production implementation for a Big Data Project
- Minimum of 1 year experience on Spark. Exposure to Spark Streaming and MLLib preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience on Hadoop AND MapReduce AND Oozie AND Hive AND Pig
- Minimum of 2 years of experience on core Java OR Scala
- Expertise in performance tuning of Hive and Hadoop
- Exposure to Python OR iPython OR any other Scripting language
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase OR Cassandra OR MongoDB
- Exposure to Big Data Exploration, Profiling, Quality and Transformation
- Proficient in designing efficient and robust ETL/ELT workflows, schedulers, and event-based triggers
- Ability to quickly learn, adapt, and implement Open Source technologies
- Exposure to Data Mining preferred
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision as well as contribute to team efforts is required
- Strong critical thinking, decision making, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Outstanding time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including communicating technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Ability and desire to learn new skills and techniques
- A Bachelor's degree in a computer related field or equivalent professional experience is required
- Scrum methodologies
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program*, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union
- Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Meet Some of GEICO's Employees
Sean helps steer GEICO’s course in the field of new applications by serving as a programmer on the Mobile Team. He streamlines customer experience on Android devices.
Back to top