Big Data Developer
Do you want to be part of the transformation that's pushing forward a truly data-driven company? Are you ready to collaborate and innovate with a team responsible for changing the customer experience using the latest technologies? As a Big Data Developer on the GEICO IT squad, you'll thrive in a fast-paced innovative culture that turns data into information and uses that information to drive action. One focus is our Single View of the Customer (SVOC) initiative. As part of this team you will be designing, creating, and populating customer centric data stores necessary for deriving valuable insights in real time to provide tailored customer experiences.
When you first join our SVOC team you will have the opportunity to go through our new Big Data Academy! This Academy will give you exposure to the cutting-edge technology that we use to develop SVOC, and prepare you with the skills needed to hit the ground running.
- Experience with manipulating and transforming data
- At least 1 year of experience with SQL and Java or Scala
- Exposure to NoSQL databases, Spark, and the Hadoop Ecosystem (MapReduce, Oozie, Hive, Pig)
- Strong critical thinking, decision making, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including communicating technical issues to non-technical audiences
- A Bachelor's degree in a computer related field or equivalent professional experience is required
- Experience in designing efficient and robust ETL/ELT workflows, schedulers, and event-based triggers
- Experience with Spark core and Spark SQL
- Experience as a Big Data Developer
- Exposure to Data Mining, Data Engineering and Data Modeling
- Exposure to Graph Databases
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Meet Some of GEICO's Employees
Joy B.Software Analyst—Indianapolis
As a senior software analyst, Joy works as a liaison between software users and software developers. She is also a SCRUM product owner who conveys the ideas and vision of the project to the team.
Back to top