Attorney I - Portland, OR
1. RESEARCH laws and PREPARE legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda.
2. RENDER opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department.
3. PREPARE and HANDLE pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath.
4. DEFEND by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable.
5. ADHERE to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies and operating principles.
6. MEET attendance standard of the business location, to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with supervisors and co-workers.
The acceptable candidate MUST be licensed in good standing to practice law in Oregon and meet the requirements specified below.
Position requires a Minimum of one year of insurance defense or personal injury litigation experience or two years litigation experience (Attorneys must be a grade 66 attorney for one year to be promoted into the grade 67 position) , preferably in Oregon.
TRAVEL as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
Must be able to, with or without accommodation, perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to seeing, hearing, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting and standing.
Must be able to use a keyboard and a mouse.
Must be able to multi-task.
Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and/or email.
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Back to top