Ab Initio Developer
The DS&T (Data Science and Transformation) team is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented, and process-driven ETL/BI developer who wants a challenging position to showcase their skills. Qualified candidates should possess 3+ years of professional experience as an ETL developer. The selected candidate will be part of a group of Reporting Data Store (RDS) developers responsible for activities related to corporate reporting in GEICO's Big Data environment.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with Ab Initio as a developer
- Comfortable with developing complex transformations as well as maintaining existing application code written by others
- Strong UNIX scripting skills, preferably on AIX
- Advanced SQL skills
- Good understanding of database technologies, particularly DB2, SQL and/or Netezza
- 3+ years of Data Warehouse experience. Candidate must have experience with both Data Warehouse schemas (Third Normal Form or 3NF model) as well as Data Mart schemas (dimensional model)
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision as well as contribute to team efforts
- Must be able to provide 24 x 7 Production support for ETL team on a weekly rotational basis
- Able to multi-task under tight deadlines
NON-TECHNICAL SKILLS DESIRED:
- Experience with Hadoop, especially Horton Dataworks Platform
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong critical thinking, decision making, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Outstanding time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including communicating technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Ability and desire to learn new skills and techniques
- Passion to innovate and provide high quality visualization and reporting for users
- Familiarity with Agile development
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor's degree in a computer related field.
- Analyze the key dimensions, facts, attributes, hierarchies and provide input to data modeling
- Understand the business logic and collaborate in designing the data transformations for reporting data stores (datamarts)
- Develop ETL graphs to meet documented requirements
- Create and execute test plans. Document assumptions, methodologies and validation techniques.
- Set Performance level agreements with Consumers (User Groups, Data Services)
- Participate in 24x7 on call support for key processes and data
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We're an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates' quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click "Apply for Job" to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.
Meet Some of GEICO's Employees
As a senior software analyst, Joy works as a liaison between software users and software developers. She is also a SCRUM product owner who conveys the ideas and vision of the project to the team.
Back to top