Job Description Summary
The Military DoD SkillBridge program is an opportunity for Service members to gain valuable civilian work experience through specific industry training, apprenticeships, or internships during the last 180 days of service. SkillBridge connects Service members with industry partners in real-world job experiences under Dept. of Defense Instruction 1322.29. Separating Service members can be granted up to 180 days of permissive duty to focus solely on training full-time with approved industry partners after unit commander (first O-4/Field Grade commander in chain of command) provides written authorization and approval. GE Aviation as a Skill Bridge partner offers real-world training and work experience in in-demand fields of work while having the opportunity to evaluate the Service member's suitability for the work. Military DoD SkillBridge participants are not eligible for compensation from GE Aviation, as they continue to receive military compensation and benefits as active-duty service members.
90 Day SkillBridge Opportunity Starting August 28 2023
At the Lafayette Engine Facility, our technicians are more than jet engine mechanics. We're a teaming site made up of multiple teams that operate as interconnected business units driving their team's safety, quality, and delivery goals. This structure offers our team members a high degree of flexibility and professional development. In this role you will be based at one of GE Aviation's newest, state of the art facilities in Lafayette, Indiana where we support new jet engine assembly for the LEAP and Passport engines as well as overhaul for the LEAP engine. As a Lafayette Technician, you will have the opportunity to grow and develop in unlimited ways.
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Drive team safety and quality investigations and corrective actions
- Participate in a flexible workforce
- Work on a team & take an active role in sitewide decision-making
- Assemble, repair, and overhaul jet engines
- Cross-train and learn multiple job scopes
- Utilize planning software and various computer programs on a daily basis
- FAA Powerplant certificate OR current program enrollment to obtain Powerplant certification OR equivalent military experience performing aircraft maintenance AND eligibility to pursue Powerplant certification
- Proof of FAA Powerplant certification required to start
- Active Military personnel
- Prioritizes safety and quality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a self-directed team environment
- Self-motivated and able to take initiative
- Openness to give and receive feedback across different levels of employees
- Ability to teach and coach others
- Ability to make, and accept responsibility for, decisions
- Willingness to work in multiple roles with varied responsibilities
- Critical thinking capability, maturity of judgement
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No