Writer, Gartner Research
We are looking for a Writer with an eye for detail and expert knowledge of the English language to write technology-centric content, as well as manage all steps in the publication process. A successful candidate understands what kind of writing is appropriate for business executives and strives to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content to clients. Candidates must be organized and disciplined, and possess excellent research skills, along with a passion for the written word.
Writers perform a variety of duties, including drafting text, revising content for clarity, formatting documents, fact checking and researching. Writers work directly with Gartner analysts to craft written research and must ensure time-sensitive deliverables meet deadlines.
In this role, you will:
- Write, or help analysts to write, research notes, reports and other documents that satisfy clients' needs.
- Revise and review drafts, especially in response to feedback.
- Relieve analysts of some of the burdens associated with project management and progressing work through Gartner's content management system.
- Help editors understand what analysts are trying to communicate.
- Liaise with editing colleagues to ensure research documents comply with Gartner’s editorial style and standards.
- Provide input for companywide writing and editing policies, standards and procedures.
- Work with assigned research teams to plan and write must-have research.
- Submit material for publication in the required and expected format.
- Critique the work of other writers in a mentoring or coaching capacity.
- Verify facts, dates and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Write with the reader or audience in mind.
- Work cross-functionally with all other teams/departments, including Research, IT and Graphics, to improve the overall workflow process, procedures and systems.
- Train analysts on writing best practices, publishing process requirements and Gartner style.
- Undertake continuous, job-related training to maintain writing quality levels and improve individual skills.
- Maintain an awareness of new terms or phrases coming into popular usage in your subject area(s).
- Three to five years' writing experience, preferably working for newspapers, magazines or journals in the field of IT or communications technology, in a busy environment with strict deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism or Liberal Arts.
- Excellent writing and communication skills\
- Able to absorb new material quickly.
- Able to collaborate on documents with subject-matter experts and build relationships with other stakeholders, especially analysts and editors.
- Numerate and visually literate.
- Proven ability to manage projects and juggle a diverse workload, while meeting all deadlines.
- Knack for learning and understanding new concepts.
- Well versed in Microsoft Office applications (primarily Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) style.
- Past experience working in a content management system is helpful.
- High-level knowledge of computing, storage, infrastructure strategies and/or networking is a plus.
Meet Some of Gartner's Employees
Vice President, Research
Jenny is the go-to girl for any information pertaining to what technology applications clients can use to support social media connections with customers around the world.
Back to top