VP, External Reporting
What makes Gartner a GREAT fit for you? When you join Gartner, you’ll be part of a fast-growing team that helps the world become smarter and more connected. We’re the world’s leading research and advisory company, achieving consistent double-digit growth by steering clients toward the right decisions with business and technology insights they can’t find anywhere else. Our associates enjoy a collaborative work environment, exceptional training and career development — as well as unlimited growth opportunities. If you like working with a curious, supportive, high-performing team, Gartner is the place for you.
When you join Gartner, you’ll be part of a fast-growing team that helps the world become smarter and more connected. We’re the leader in our industry, achieving double-digit growth by helping clients make the right decisions with business and technology insights they can’t find anywhere else. Our associates enjoy a collaborative work environment, exceptional training and career development — as well as unlimited growth potential. If you like working with a generous, supportive, high-performing team, Gartner is where you want to be.
Our Southwest Florida (Fort Myers) Gartner Campus is our largest office globally with 1,700 associates across four buildings. This location offers associates amenities which include two onsite cafes, onsite gym, outdoor walking track, open patios, and modern work spaces which foster a positive work environment.
Looking for a healthy balance of work and play? You’ll love our Southwest Florida location. World class beaches, exciting nightlife, affordable cost of living, and top local schools and universities are just a few of the reasons why our area is one of the fastest-growing in the nation.
About this role:
The VP, External Reporting, is responsible for setting the strategy and overseeing the process and preparation of all external financial reports. This role is responsible for ensuring the organization remains in compliance with SEC Financial Reporting and General Accepted Accounting Principles. This position also serves as a critical partner in special projects like company acquisitions and divestitures.
What you’ll do:
• Direct, manage and oversee the preparation of all external company financial statements, footnotes and other information presented throughout the SEC filings and financial releases including quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and the annual report on Form 10K,. Oversee the coordination and validation of data across the organization to ensure filings are compliant with policy and accounting standards.
• Develop, communicate and manage reporting requirements for both accuracy and timeliness. Identify opportunities to automate and improve processes to drive efficiencies
• Ensure external financial reporting and other areas of responsibility, i.e. documentation and policies and procedures are in compliance with SEC and GAAP guidelines as well as internal Gartner regulations.
• Ensure policies and procedures are kept up to date and adhered to as regulatory changes occur to maintain compliance.
• Stay current in one’s field by monitoring and analyzing changes to accounting rules (e.g. GAAP) and SEC issues / interpretations. Proactively share the impact of relevant changes to the organization’s accounting and financial reporting.
• Viewed as the subject matter expert and develops a team who can provide guidance and advice to other departments in response to questions or problems relating to accounting treatment of certain issues and transactions
• Drive the creation and strategy around updates to standard operating procedures as they relate to external reporting.
• Responsible for identifying and researching trends on best practices for external reporting. Share and implement best practices within the team.
• Collaborate with subject matter experts to provide insightful recommendations on: MD&A sections, disclosure effectiveness, SEC comment letter trends, strategic initiative communication, and emerging technologies.
• Key member of the Controllers Group Leadership team, helping to lead department initiatives and proactively seek to find efficiencies and automation in processes and procedures.
• Partners with key stakeholders on special projects to provide accounting and reporting guidance.
• Implement changes in FASB accounting rules for US GAAP and ensure ongoing tracking and compliance.
• Participate in special projects and other initiatives as assigned
• Success will be measured by both internal (CFO, Controller, GVP Investor Relations, GVP Legal) and external (KPMG, SEC) feedback.
What you’ll need:
• Strong background with SEC filings (10K, 10Q) and GAAP practices/protocols.
• Experience with in-sourcing SEC reporting with WebFilings or other reporting software.
• Knowledge of xBRL tagging.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• High degree of problem solving and analytical skills.
• Detail oriented, with commitment to accuracy, quality of work, and operational excellence
• Strong executive presence and ability to effectively influence
• Has highly developed current GAAP technical skill set, and can effectively communicate technical concepts in presentations and/or verbally to business partners in “plain English”
• Is solution-oriented and proactive in seeking out process improvements
• Strong People Leadership experience, including developing talent through effective performance management and career pathing.
• Ability to recognize and develop top talent in the organization, to prepare for continued growth and succession planning.
• Ability to appropriately and effectively delegate tasks based on Associates strengths and the needs of a business in growth mode.
• Preferred knowledge of IFRS
• BA /BS degree in Accounting or Finance required. MBA or studying for MBA preferred. Certified Public Accountant.
• 15+ years of experience. At least 10 years public accounting preferred.
Who you are:
• Motivated, high-potential performer, with demonstrated ability to influence and lead
• Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
• Able to solve complex problems and successfully manage ambiguity and unexpected change
• Teachable and embracing of best practices and feedback as a means of continuous improvement
• Consistently high achiever marked by perseverance, humility and a positive outlook in the face of challenges
• Leads by example and embodies Gartner’s values.
What we offer:
In addition to an outstanding work environment with rapid advancement potential, Gartner associates enjoy exceptional compensation and benefits, including:
• An upbeat, positive culture. Integrity, objectivity, collaboration, results and a no-limits mindset are central to our values
• Limitless growth. We work with you to help you meet your goals and advance within the company
• Encouragement to be innovative and challenge status quo
• Exposure to industry leading training and development
• Performance based recognition and rewards
Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) is the world’s leading research and advisory company. The company helps business leaders across all major functions in every industry and enterprise size with the objective insights they need to make the right decisions. Gartner’s comprehensive suite of services delivers strategic advice and proven best practices to help clients succeed in their mission-critical priorities. Gartner is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, USA, and has more than 13,000 associates serving clients in 11,000 enterprises in 100 countries. For more information, visit gartner.com.
Job Requisition ID:38617
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.
Back to top