Research Director, Endpoint Security, Flexible NA Location, Gartner Research
This position is on Gartner’s Technology & Service Provider (TSP) team, delivering insightful qualitative and quantitative advice to IT providers developing and delivering security solutions to all size organizations around the globe. This Research Director will have a critical role in advising our Security IT provider clients around positions, messaging, product development, direction and vision of the market, competitive analysis and more. The individual who fills this open position will:
- Strong understanding of endpoint security and protection platforms, web and email security gateways.
- Solid understanding of related security systems, especially mobile security, but also including threat intelligence platforms, deception technologies, and other advanced threat prevention applications is a plus.
- Although this position will require an understanding of endpoint and web/email gateway security, there’s a requirement to understand the broader security market as well. Critical success factor will be the ability to view, analyze and link the broad security market and then put it into context of endpoint and web/email gateway security solutions.
- Ability to grasp concepts, directions and impacts of new approaches to IT and feeding this knowledge around market dynamics into Gartner’s forecasting methodologies and outputs for the wider security environment
- End-user drivers for buying decision making in the area of security
- Understand vendor strategies and the long-term business impact from a financial perspective
- Understand how security vendors are evolving their business models and the implications to the competitive environment, technology and buyer behavior
- Understand how vendor strategies, end-user buying behavior and key market trends are impacting the overall security market size and growth
- Ability to identify the key gaps in vendor strategies and product portfolio inhibiting their business
- Be able to have key executive discussions with leading security vendors on how they can gain market share
- Call out key differentiators among the leading vendors delivering security solutions
- Be a lead go to person with IT Provider clients in relation to security technologies, end-user buying behavior, and vendor strategies.
- Produce innovative, thought-leading, impactful, analytically-deep, fact-based research.
- Have a broad understanding of overall security technologies and services and the key vendors in the security market.
- Have a deep understanding of end-user buying behavior around security solution procurement including budget allocation, priority setting, key demands of organizations.
- Have a deep understanding of vendor offerings, their go-to-market strategy, and market direction.
- Leading member of a cross functional team of analyst developing broad IT and business focused insights on the topic of security.
- Provide in-depth analysis based on extensive client and technology provider input, team and community research, discussions and collaboration, as well as personal experience. Collaboration with peers is critical. Contribute thought-leadership in establishing company research positions.
- Represent Gartner research methodology, strategies and positions effectively at senior level within technology providers, user organizations, government and investors.
- Create written research in fulfillment of our commitment to clients.
- Create and deliver presentations for Gartner conferences, local briefings and webinars.
- Provide support to the sales organization to renew and develop business. Demonstrate Gartner research value.
- Provide high quality and timely research peer review. Provide mentorship and support team members.
- Ability to provide focused one-day client engagements as a research area expert.
- Be able to work across research teams within Gartner on the topic of security.
- Be able to mentor junior analysts on various security topics.
- Support Gartner PR by collaborating effectively with the press according to Gartner rules of engagement.
- Bachelor's degree in related field; proven record of academic achievement at highest level or a Master's Degree in related discipline are an advantage, however experience and knowledge is critical
- 10 years plus year’s experience working in either an end-user organization in a Chief Security Officer role or similar (responsible for security solutions decisions), or a security vendor marketing operations.
- Knowledge of the broad security technology and service landscape.
- Knowledge of key vendors in the security competitive landscape and their offerings and go-to-market strategies.
- Work history in roles such as Sr. Security Engineer, Sr. Security Analyst or Security Architect are preferred.
- CISSP preferred.
- Broad knowledge of security technologies, compliance standards, security frameworks and standards among others.
- Ability to take multiple concepts and technological inputs and turn that into sound, factual and practical deployment and/or market opportunity leverage
- Articulate and succinct communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills; ability to apply conceptual models, recognizing patterns and drawing and defending conclusions.
- Strong project planning and management skills.
- Strong team-working ethos.
- Exceptional influencing and leadership skills
- Exceptional presentation skills in small and large audience situations alike
Job ID 00020022
Meet Some of Gartner's Employees
Regional Vice President, Sales
Erin oversees more than $40 million of business for Gartner while guiding and supporting five separate teams of account executives throughout the greater New York City territory.
Back to top