Research Director, Application Development, Flexible NA Location, Gartner Research
What makes Gartner Research a GREAT fit for you?
- You are a team player who values expert insights, bold ideas and intellectual courage.
- You are always learning and looking to discover what’s next in technology.
- You pursue personal excellence through team collaboration and consensus.
If this describes you, Gartner is looking for you! Gartner is an upbeat culture based on collaboration, teamwork, integrity and objectivity that values creativity and innovation. As a Gartner analyst, you’ll not only help clients solve complex challenges and deliver on key initiatives, you’ll grow your career and the scope of your impact across industries. We work hard — and we reward success with exceptional opportunity.
About this role:
This role creates thought leading research within our Applications Design and Development Group for our Gartner for IT Leaders clients through published research, conversations with client (Inquiry), stage presentations, teleconferences, and client meetings. It is important that you have a vision for the impact of application design and development trends, and how strategic technology areas like open-source software, artificial intelligence, and cloud platforms will change application development at a worldwide and regional level.
What you’ll do:
As a Gartner analyst you will meet with clients every day: on the phone, in a video-conference, from the stage at a Gartner event or face-to-face during a sales support visit. In every client interaction analysts help clients solve difficult puzzles that lead to better performance. To support these conversations you will research markets, practices and trends and produce written research for Gartner clients to download and apply.
- Conduct research and analysis in specific areas of expertise targeting client’s key initiatives.
- Deliver high quality actionable advice through a variety of media.
- Write high quality, clear, actionable, advisory research documents.
- Remain ahead of the curve on developments and issues within these specified areas as well as applicable adjacent areas.
- Respond to client questions, create materials for and deliver to clients in person, via teleconference, video conference or webinar and event presentations
- Maintain the Gartner’s industry leadership reputation by responding to press inquiries
- Proactively work with the wider sales organization and deliver outstanding sales support in order to retain and grow the business
What you’ll need:
It helps to be obsessed with your topic! Gartner analysts are correctly viewed as THE experts. This means you need to know your markets, vendors, trends, management practices, etc. and be able to see the forest and the trees. Most Gartner analysts have many years of experience and enjoy solving complex problems.
- Subject matter expertise in Application Design & Development, with demonstrated knowledge of programming languages and trends, software development environments/platforms (e.g. .NET or Java) and modern application development skills and culture. Business Process/Rules Engines, Open source, data analytics languages and platforms, AI, Machine Learning, or IoT experience all pluses.
- Ability to formulate and articulate technology and business adoption scenarios that help senior IT leaders assess the opportunities, risk, and best approaches for modernizing their application development organization. Vertical industry knowledge a plus.
- Ability to collaborate in cross-team settings with colleagues that include application integration/architecture, enterprise architecture, application testing, technology service providers, and industry specific analysts, such as healthcare and financial services.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, applying conceptual models, recognizing patterns while drawing and defending conclusions. Strong business acumen as well as analytical skills are required for this position
- Articulate and succinct communication skills. Experience in Publishing and Speaking engagements an advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in an engineering, product development, product management or technology related role
- Bachelor's or equivalent experience, preferably Computer Science, Math or Engineering, Master's degree preferred
- Ability to conduct occasional travel, regionally and globally
Job ID 00018667
Meet Some of Gartner's Employees
Regional Vice President, Sales
Erin oversees more than $40 million of business for Gartner while guiding and supporting five separate teams of account executives throughout the greater New York City territory.
Back to top