Managing Partner, Public Sector, Gartner Consulting
State and local government agencies are being challenged like never before to use technology to make a real difference in people’s lives. Key issues to be addressed include:
- What are the trends today that will support and enable government agencies to become more digital?
- How will the digitalization of public services change government business models and IT management?
State and local agencies must become more information and customer centric and as a result are being forced to act more and more like Technology Companies and operate with increased speed, agility, and innovation.
In the wake of these trends, Gartner Consulting has an unprecedented opportunity to help advise state and local government agencies on how to address these challenges and thrive in a digital future. The Managing Partner position provides the opportunity to help our state and local government clients address their most pressing and strategic technology needs while ensuring that their foundational technology capabilities are robust and agile. This position provides leadership and executive oversight support for a large and complex portfolio of state and local clients. It is an opportunity to be part of a vertical industry team who shares a common passion for making a difference to our clients and in the transformation of the way the public sector delivers services to citizens.
Based on a thorough study of what traits are common amongst our leading Managing Partners, Gartner Consulting has concluded that this position is ideal for individuals who thrive on autonomy, continuous learning and thought leadership, client and industry impact, and team building and collaboration. The key traits that we are specifically seeking in this State and Local Government Managing Partner position include:
- Self-motivated but best in a team environment
- Sales Acumen (including demand generation, lead capture, closing, extension/expansion)
- Ability to build and sustain trust-based, value-added relationships
- Executive presence
- Problem solving
Market Penetration and Growth
- Identify and develop opportunities where Gartner Consulting can make a significant impact to our client’s most pressing business needs and challenges
- Understand broad public sector market demands and drivers and their relevance to overall client needs and innovative directions
- Engage with state and local business and technology executives to understand pressing issues, challenges, and business drivers and determine areas where Gartner Consulting can add the most value
Account Penetration and Growth
- Focus on expanding and growing a portfolio of strategic state and local government accounts through excellent client relationships and engagement delivery
- Collaborate with account executives and other Gartner business unit partners (Research, Executive Programs) in developing actionable plans to provide business relevant, value-added services to clients in assigned account portfolio
- Identify account opportunities for growth and long term, sustainable strategic partnership with clients consistent with Gartner Consulting services (e.g., Digital Government, IT strategy, PMO development, data center strategy and roadmap, disruptive technologies)
- Lead consulting sales and business development efforts in assigned portfolio, including demand generation and management, scope of work (SOW) discussions, proposal development, and final SOW and contracting process.
- Apply Consulting risk management and quality/value assurance processes to help ensure that pursuits, sales efforts, and scopes of work result in maximum client value while mitigating potential risks in engagement scope, timelines, and budget.
Consulting Engagement Delivery
- Ensure client satisfaction and delivery success
- Lead or oversee client engagement delivery for multiple accounts and complex projects
- Provide oversight and coaching of team members to ensure engagement delivery remains within specified scope, schedule, budget, and margin.
- Take the necessary steps to mitigate engagement delivery risks, including leading and participating in internal quality assurance reviews.
- Manage engagements at or above gross margin target
Influencing, Coaching and Mentoring
- Proactively seek out ways to collaborate with leaders from all parts of Gartner to identify new and relevant market opportunities and develop strategies
- Mentor other associates in industry-relevant issues and trends, as well as organizational, business, behavioral, and technical skills
- 12+ years of management consulting experience with a well-regarded consultancy, including significant work in state and local government, with focus on engaging directly with executives and senior decision makers.
- Deep understanding of the state and local government market.
- Ability to describe complex business and IT issues within the state and local government market to a variety of audiences, especially executives
- Ability to quickly understand and analyze client current state, understand client business directions and priorities, and synthesize this analysis to help set client strategies within the context of information technology enablers (e.g., people, process, technology)
- Broad exposure to strategy and operations improvement in state and local government organizations
- Held similar business development/managing partner position for a minimum of 3+ years
- Understands the business and economics of consulting, including financial management requirements
- Can independently develop and identify opportunities and lead large and complex pursuits, with support from other thought leaders and subject matter experts
- Active contacts within IL state government a plus
- Role will involve approximately 50% travel
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- IT Strategic Planning and Management
- Transformation programs to support organizational goals and objectives
- IT Service Delivery
- Digital Strategy and Execution
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Leading, inspiring, building trust
- Creating and innovating
- Business development and revenue generation
- Focusing on results
- Coaching, delegating and developing
- Building teams and client relationships
- Principled negotiating
- Resolving conflicts and problems
- Being adaptable and resilient
- Action and results oriented, decisive
- Understanding of organizations, politics and culture
- Working in highly matrixed organization
- Effective teaming and collaboration with Gartner and client teams
Job ID 00018760
Meet Some of Gartner's Employees
Regional Vice President, Sales
Erin oversees more than $40 million of business for Gartner while guiding and supporting five separate teams of account executives throughout the greater New York City territory.
Back to top