Manager, Finance Technology - Sr Application Lead
When you join Gartner, you’ll be part of a fast-growing team that helps the world become smarter and more connected. We’re the leader in our industry, achieving double-digit growth by helping clients make the right decisions with business and technology insights they can’t find anywhere else. Our associates enjoy a collaborative work environment, exceptional training and career development — as well as unlimited growth potential. If you like working with a generous, supportive, high-performing team, Gartner is where you want to be.
About this role:
The Manager of Finance Technology is responsible for Gartner’s Finance systems and leads a team of onshore and offshore development resources. Besides being a team leader and technical manager, the Manager of Finance Technology is a business strategist - staying current on trends in Finance, advising the business on technical strategies, and cultivating a roadmap to make the Finance technology portfolio best in class.
This role can be based out of our Fort Myers, FL or Irving, TX Centers of Excellence. Our Southwest Florida (Fort Myers) Gartner Campus is our largest office globally with 1,700 associates across four buildings. This location offers associates amenities which include two onsite cafes, onsite gym, outdoor walking track, open patios, and modern work spaces which foster a creative and positive work environment.
Looking for a healthy balance of work and play? You’ll love our Southwest Florida location. World-class beaches, exciting nightlife, affordable cost of living, and top local schools and universities are just a few of the reasons why our area is one of the fastest-growing in the nation.
What you’ll do:
- Supervises line staff. Assigns work, monitors work quality and reviews output.
- Performs as a technical contributor, delivering the results required in the area.
- Coaches, motivates and guides team members. Provides the technical oversight and leadership necessary to accomplish the work.
- Works closely with customers to ensure that goals, objectives and work processes of the group align with the needs of the business.
- Identifies and recommends resource requirements for the team.
- Develops work plan and priorities for their area. May contribute to the plans for the larger group.
- Responsible for all performance-related activities, including preparing and delivering performance reviews and any disciplinary recommendations.
- Ensures that team members are aware of and aligned to the team’s goals and objectives
- Makes hire/fire recommendations.
- Possesses strong knowledge of the technical area supervised. Serves as a technical resource to those supervised.
- Familiar with all IT functions and services relevant to their area.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of the processes, procedures and issues within their area.
- Able to resolve or facilitate the resolution of complex issues within their area
- Possesses an understanding of the business areas supported including their functional processes, business objectives and organizational dynamics.
- Developing an awareness of best practices in the technology industry as it relates to their work.
- Has good knowledge of Gartner, including the products and services relevant to their area.
- Has an understanding of Gartner’s business and how the work within their team impacts and supports the business
Typical Challenges Addressed:
- Successfully resolves most technical and/or process issues within their area.
- Assists in the analysis of complex problems requiring diagnosis, testing and judgment of which approach or procedure is most appropriate.
- Recommends opportunities to improve work procedures and processes for their area, or implements process changes in areas where they have been delegated the authority to do so.
- Assists in the development and presentation of various analyses to management (e.g. organizational, systems, feasibility, and cost/benefit studies, implementation plans).
- Implements technology or process solutions or services to meet multiple clients’ requirements.
- Interacts with business partners to identify technology needs; develops strong relationships with business partners and staff to develop solutions.
- Begins to form productive networks with internal and external business partners.
- Builds team unity.
- Able to effectively communicate highly technical information to business partners and junior staff.
- Leads projects, within their technical discipline. This typically includes:
- Executing established plans for initiatives.
- Ensuring resources and organization structure are in place and operating effectively.
- Anticipating conflicting needs and proactively resolving them.
- Integrating resources effectively, including resources under the direct control, or controlled by contractors, vendors, etc.
- Responsible for assigning work, monitoring work quality, reviewing output and ensuring that staff are equipped to successfully deliver the work of the area.
- Manages work assignment for team members.
- Assists management in the area of resourcing.
- Accountable for monitoring performance versus budget and achieving budget objectives for team.
- Provides input into budget requirements and resource estimates for projects in their area.
What you’ll need:
- Typical candidate will possess 10+ years of relevant experience and BA/BS degree or equivalent. Advanced degree highly desirable.
- Has 10+ years Oracle EBS suite expertise both technical and functional in Finance – General Ledger, Sub-ledger Accounting, Fixed Assets, Accounts Receivables, Accounts Payable, Cash Management, Lockboxes, Collections, Advanced Global Intercompany System, Procure to Pay with PunchOut, Invoice, Record to Report.
- Experience with Virtual Trader a plus.
- Experience with XML, cXML and XSLT.
- Must have strong knowledge in Oracle Applications development, PL/SQL and Oracle system management.
- Must have functional knowledge to support EDI, Report and ability to make EDI mapping changes.
- Demonstrated ability to design and develop Oracle EBS integrations and functionality.
- Business knowledge of Payables, Receivables, Procurement, GL, and Collections, Knowledge of Financial Accounting a plus
- Analyse, build and extract Discoverer reports
- Experience leading a team of 3-5 development resources of various skill levels, preferably a mix of onshore and offshore.
- Experience managing a team’s software development lifecycle from requirements gathering to design, prototype, build, test, and deploy.
- Ability to assess impact of a code change in one module to another where they are connected
- Knowledge of Oracle Database platform and ability to tune queries
- Experience with PERL and shell scripting in Linux / Unix platform
- Familiarity with cloud migration a plus
- Ability to communicate and enforce best practices for development standards and source control.
- Experience conducting design reviews and code reviews.
- Experience designing, building, and testing integrations to third party vendors.
- Experience with point solutions for Finance including packaged applications and custom applications to support business needs.
- Have a good understanding of SOX compliance and localizations.
Who you are:
- Motivated, high-potential performer, with demonstrated ability to influence and lead
- Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to solve complex problems and successfully manage ambiguity and unexpected change
- Teachable and embracing of best practices and feedback as a means of continuous improvement
- Consistently high achiever marked by perseverance, humility and a positive outlook in the face of challenges
What we offer:
In addition to an outstanding work environment with rapid advancement potential, Gartner associates enjoy exceptional compensation and benefits, including:
- An upbeat, positive culture. Integrity, objectivity, collaboration, results and a no-limits mindset are central to our values
- Limitless growth. We work with you to help you meet your goals and advance within the company
- Encouragement to be innovative and challenge status quo
- Exposure to industry leading training and development
- Performance based recognition and rewards
About Gartner :
Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) is the world’s leading research and advisory company. The company helps business leaders across all major functions in every industry and enterprise size with the objective insights they need to make the right decisions. Gartner’s comprehensive suite of services delivers strategic advice and proven best practices to help clients succeed in their mission-critical priorities. Gartner is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, USA, and has more than 13,000 associates serving clients in 11,000 enterprises in 100 countries. For more information, visit gartner.com.
Job ID 00020246
Meet Some of Gartner's Employees
Regional Vice President, Sales
Erin oversees more than $40 million of business for Gartner while guiding and supporting five separate teams of account executives throughout the greater New York City territory.
Back to top