Director, Public Sector Consulting Phx
Director – Public Sector
Gartner Consulting is a leading independent IT and business consultancy, helping clients define key IS/IT strategies, manage major technology initiatives, optimize business processes and operations though IT and telecommunications and achieve high returns on their related investments. Using Gartner methodologies, benchmarks and the full power of Gartner Research, we help clients to measure performance, optimize and create quantifiable business value, independently from implementation interests. Gartner also provides management consulting services to executive and senior level management on how to better leverage IT and innovate.
Gartner is growing and seeking a seasoned consulting Director to take a key role in the development of our Consulting practice in the Southwest. The successful candidate will take on senior business development and consulting delivery activities. Gartner’s strategy, which you will be implementing, is to focus on a small number of clients, with whom we will build, long-term strategic relationships, based on consulting capabilities in world class areas of expertise:
• IT Strategy
• IT Cost Optimization
• Project Oversight and Quality Assurance
• Project Health Assessments
• Business Capabilities Modeling
• IT Governance and Investment Management• Applications Modernization (including ERP)
• Infrastructure Modernization
Led by our Managing Partners, we will be bold and develop sustaining relationships with select clients by selling and delivering large, high impact engagements focused on our clients’ most important IT initiatives, using repeatable solutions based on distinctive capabilities that are tailored to the public sector. The Consulting Director manages medium to large-size projects and must have demonstrated success in leading people.
Success in this top tier position is measured by:
• A consistent track record for leading people and building teams that are high performing quickly. An ability to inspire and motivate professionals from both technical and non-technical backgrounds towards a common goal
• An unwavering commitment to the success of a team, and willingness to be accountable for the team’s success. Essential to provide constructive corrective action when/if needed
• Dedication of significant time coaching and mentoring others, building the next generation of consulting delivery leaders within Gartner
• An ability to communicate persuasively to diverse audiences and adapt messaging as needed – from CIO’s to staff-level clients, and internally within Gartner to junior consultants all the way up to top consulting leaders
• Demonstrating intellectual curiosity and the creative development of solutions and strategies to solve client problems. Must adapt Gartner frameworks and methodologies to strike at the heart of a client’s most pressing challenges
• Building trusted advisor relationships through not just exceptional delivery, but also through demonstrating a willingness to “go the extra mile” for a client and commit to their success
• An ability to operate at high intensity and high rate of speed, managing multiple client priorities simultaneously. Comfort with operating in a dynamic environment where making adjustments mid-stream are essential
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND SPECIFIC DUTIES:
This role will deal with clients ranging from client staff delivering critical projects, to Program Directors, SRO’s, Agency Directors and Chief Executives defining transformational strategies.
As a successful Director, you will:
• Develop and maintain client relationships at a strategic level
• Represent Gartner’s world-class brand by attitude and mind-set.
• Leverage Gartner research, data and consulting experience, to develop industry specific Points of Views that provide provocative insight into the role of IT in the Government sector
• Work with our clients and Gartner specialists to identify and sell consulting engagements that are critical to our clients future
• Lead the most important engagements for our most important clients.
• Proven track record of holding and achieving sales targets - important
• 15+ years total experience
• 5+ years senior consulting experience from top management and IT consulting firm - strongly preferred
• MBA from top programme - preferred.
• Excellent people skills and customer relationship track record - mandatory.
• Experience in developing client business relationships as part of a commercial organisation.
• Interpersonal skills that will allow you to build relationships, trust and challenge some of the most senior IT executives in the world
• Ability to develop consulting solutions, working with our clients that are both unique and compelling
• Must have excellent project management skills, professionalism, team work capacity (including distant and remote clients and internal teams), strong work ethic and willingness to travel and work in a diverse environment
• Ability to translate Gartner research into tangible results for our client
• Expertise with strategic consulting frameworks and facility with financial principles
• Candidates with a natural aptitude for critical and analytical thinking, as well as the capacity to accept out-of-the box solutions will be favored over specialists.
• Fluent in English and other European languages an asset
A combination of any of the following areas: Sourcing - infrastructure and applications, IT Strategy, Governance, Organization Design, Enterprise Architecture, Program/Project Oversight, Independent Reviews.
• Impact and credibility are essential – with both our clients and with your Gartner consulting colleagues. You will be develop the trust of our clients through engaging them in dialogue, through the sales process and then through the delivery of successful engagements.
• Successful in working in a matrix organisation, both for the sales process, and delivery. Gartner has many contacts with our clients, ranging from the on-going CIO relationships through our Executive Programs to working across IT solution experts.
• High performance, goals driven. Able to balance many competing demands at the same time
• Ability to synthesis and translate complex technical aspects into business terms and define from business objectives and constraints complex technical solutions.
• Skilled at managing client situations under pressure, including conflict management and political sensitive situation handling
• Ability to inspire confidence and trust at all levels, especially executive level.
• Ability to help international and multicultural client teams make quick informed decisions while being comfortable about them
• Autonomous, positive thinker, highly flexible and a true team player
• Excellent listening, verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
Meet Some of Gartner's Employees
Vice President, Research
Jenny is the go-to girl for any information pertaining to what technology applications clients can use to support social media connections with customers around the world.
Back to top