Vice President, Strategy & Innovation
The VP, STRATEGY & INNOVATION reports to the EVP, Strategy & Chief Customer Officer (CCO) and is a member of the Gap Inc. Customer and Strategy Team (CST) leadership team. This leader is responsible for helping establish the long-term strategic direction of Gap Inc. along with the CCO, CEO and key members of the Senior Leadership Team. This VP will be a key leader in strategic change initiatives, and will drive new business development opportunities outside of our existing brands, including M&A, while overseeing Gap Inc's central Consumer Insight initiatives.
- Strategic Orientation
- Innovation Cultivator
- Results Orientation
- Collaboration & Influence - Business development and third party relationships
- This leader will be directly responsible for a corporate team of strategists while maintaining deep partnership with the community of strategists throughout the company that reside in the brands and functions.
- The VP will oversee a business development team with responsibility for shaping the priorities for M&A, investments and partnerships for the corporation
- This leader is responsible for leading Gap Inc.'s team of dedicated Consumer Insights experts, who support brands and other centers of excellence with critical primary research into customer needs
- This leader will occupy a highly visible leadership position in the corporation and represent the strategic agenda of our senior-most leaders.
- The CST provides not only strategic support to our CEO and leadership, but also include peer teams that drives Gap's digital strategy, franchise, and payment & loyalty work. While the VP will not have direct responsibility for these peer teams, they are expected to have an integrated understanding of this work and how it supports our customer-centric enterprise strategies.
- Develops long-range business strategy at the enterprise level
- Articulates clear and compelling storylines that drive action
- Weaves enterprise agenda into divisional priorities and plans
- Structures and monitors the work of multiple groups and projects
- Partners closely with Finance to drive the right strategic decisions and investments, including the annual planning process
- Works in partnership and as a trusted thought leader with the brand and function leaders to inform and influence business strategies (e.g., pricing, brand architecture, infrastructure, channels, new markets)
- Develops and leads transformation efforts
- Identifies and vets new business opportunities for Gap Inc. (outside of current brands) and architects alliances/investments/acquisitions
- Oversees and shapes Gap Inc.'s Consumer Insights priorities and activities
- Leads a team of 30
- At least 8 – 10 years of corporate strategy experience with deep knowledge of apparel, retail and digital
- Bachelor's degree and MBA required
- Demonstrated success in advancing and growing businesses globally
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; ability to frame new, ambiguous and complex issues; able to generate insight through rigorous analysis
- Turnaround and transformation efforts, including business model innovation, operating systems development, large scale cost improvements, and organizational restructures and effectiveness
- Mergers and acquisition expertise including market research, prospect identification, due diligence, negotiation and post-merger/acquisition integration
- Deep experience with progressive and innovative consumer insights efforts
- Strong leadership abilities, including the ability to develop talent and build a high performing team
- Strong influence skills and ability to work successfully with peers; a true team player
- Ability to work effectively with senior executives, including CEO and Board of Directors
- Strong communications and presentation skills
- Desire and ability to work in a matrixed organization
- Ability to travel globally
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top