Vice President - Strategy & Business Development
- San Francisco, CA
About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world.Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyonehas access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman,regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. BananaRepublic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gapinspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly madeessentials.
This simple idea-that we all deserve to belong,and on our own terms-is core to who we are as acompany and how we make decisions.Our teamis made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet.Ready tolearn fast, create with audacityand lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The VP, STRATEGY & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT reports to the EVP, Strategy & Chief Information Officer. This leader is responsible for helping establish the long-term strategic direction of Gap Inc. along with members of the Senior Leadership Team. This VP will be a key leader in strategic change initiatives to drive growth, develop corporate strategy and will drive new business development opportunities, including M&A. As a key thought leader, this role brings together end to end strategies across brands and functions. This role will help to formulate all aspects of corporate strategy from market & competitor research, planning, initiative management and business development activities. This leader manages members of strategy and business development team as they support and work with leaders across Gap Inc. This leader also works collaboratively with brand strategy teams to ensure that brand and functional strategies ladder and are executed.
What you'll do
- This leader will be directly responsible for a corporate team of strategists and business development experts while maintaining deep partnership with the community of strategists throughout the company that reside in the brands and functions.
- The VP will oversee a business development team with responsibility for shaping the priorities for M&A, investments and partnerships for the corporation
- This leader will occupy a highly visible leadership position in the corporation and represent the strategic agenda of our senior-most leaders.
- Develops long-range business strategy at the enterprise level
- Articulates clear and compelling storylines that drive action
- Weaves enterprise agenda into divisional priorities and plans
- Structures and monitors the work of multiple groups and projects
- Partners closely with Finance to drive the right strategic decisions and investments, including the annual planning process
- Works in partnership and as a trusted thought leader with the brand and function leaders to inform and influence business strategies (e.g., pricing, brand architecture, infrastructure, channels, new markets)
- Develops and leads transformation efforts
- Identifies and vets new business opportunities for Gap Inc. (outside of current brands) and architects alliances/investments/acquisitions
- Leads a team of 10-12
- Manage the M&A transaction process from identification of potential targets to close, leveraging prior M&A knowledge and experience
- 12+ years of strategy consulting and corporate strategy experience with deep knowledge of apparel, retail, customer and digital (or commiserate experience in consulting, corporate finance and investment banking)
- Bachelor's degree and MBA required
- Demonstrated success in advancing and growing businesses globally
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; ability to frame new, ambiguous and complex issues; able to generate insight through rigorous analysis
- Turnaround and transformation efforts, including business model innovation, operating systems development, large scale cost improvements, and organizational restructures and effectiveness
- Mergers and acquisition expertise including market research, prospect identification, due diligence, negotiation and post-merger/acquisition integration
- Experience with progressive and innovative consumer insights efforts
- Strong leadership abilities, including the ability to develop talent and build a high performing team
- Strong influence skills and ability to work successfully with peers; a true team player
- Ability to work effectively with senior executives, including CEO and Board of Directors
- Strong communications and presentation skills
- Desire and ability to work in a matrixed organization
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
Back to top