Vice President & General Manager, Men's - Old Navy
Old Navy makes current American fashion essentials accessible to every family. From day one, Old Navy was a revolution. We were something the world had never seen - fabulous, affordable fashion. We didn't take ourselves too seriously, and we broke the industry's rules. We said fashion didn't have to be just for rich people - it could be for everyone. We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can shop for their must-have fashion essentials online as well as in one of our 1,000+ stores located globally.
When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path (and a pretty awesome one at that). We believe that style and quality should be accessible to everyone and we work hard to make that possible. Truth is, in fashion, it's easy to be exclusive. It takes a lot more creativity, guts and drive to be inclusive. What we believe in today is exactly what we believed in when we started: we're on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Sound good to you?
Old Navy – a brand for everyone, a place for you.
Job Summary:The Old Navy Vice President & General Manager for the Men's business is based in San Francisco and reports directly to the EVP and GM of Old Navy. The VP/GM leads the Old Navy Men's business. The Merchandising team reports directly to the GM.
The VP/GM has full P&L responsibility for the Men's business and will directly influence the strategic development of the business. The VP/GM develops, communicates and drives long-range strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and customer expectations. To be successful, the VP/GM will be a champion for the Old Navy Men's business and be skilled at building and maintaining strong and effective relationships with the Old Navy leadership team, as well as with the leaders of key functions such as Inventory Management, Design, Production, Design, Visual Merchandising, Marketing, Business Strategy, and Finance. The VP/GM will inspire and motivate the team and others by presenting a compelling vision and direction for the holistic business, and be seen as a role model and mentor within the company.
Strategy & Vision
- Develop and lead the overall vision & strategy for Old Navy Men's business.
- Empower direct reports to lead the functional strategies within Merchandising to deliver on the broader business objectives.
- Set the operational strategy (short and long-term) to deliver the Old Navy Men's long range plan.
- Provide perspective on market opportunities & alignment with goals and/or internal strengths.
- Lead Merchandising team in creating strong product assortments that deliver on Old Navy's goals .
- Ensure product assortments between all Departments within the Division are aligned and not duplicative.
- Ensure Department seasonal strategies provide an exciting customer store experience and support long-term Brand and Division goals.
- Actively listen to all members of the cross-functional team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team is empowered to own the business.
- Partner Old Navy Leadership team to manage and react to business in the moment to ensure we are achieving sales and profit plans and meeting customer demand.
- Lead and guide the team throughout pre-season process and milestone meetings, including Strategic Alignment Meeting and EVP Investment Reviews.
- Provide clear leadership and direction regarding seasonal investments to ensure that smart risks are being taken in the appropriate categories and that financial targets are met.
People & Leadership
- Motivate, coach and inspire the Men's team to drive for results. Act as a positive and solution-oriented leader and role model. Create and maintain a learning environment where the development of employees is a priority.
- Build strong and effective working relationships with key cross-functional partners.
- Align resources appropriately within own team and cross-functionally to build an organization that is set up for success.
- Lead the resource and succession planning work for the Men's team.
- Foster a cooperative working environment that recognizes employees based on the strengths of their efforts and results.
- Be a champion for change and innovation within the business.
550 TERRY FRANCOIS BLVD.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Think strategically, conceptually and creatively –must have, and be able to articulate, a vision that is sharable by all key stakeholders.
- Strong Business Acumen; expert knowledge of financial measurements and how to impact them. Identify areas of the business that need attention and have the ability to analyze the details when appropriate.
- Demonstrate agility in leadership style and flexibility of approach; has the ability to think strategically (high-level) and tactically (to drive execution).
- Must be the market-facing expert for the business (competitive and customer). Must be consumer centric and lead the teams to make decisions based on our customers wants/needs.
- Strong gut instinct and passion for product; take smart risks and be innovative.
- Highly skilled collaborator who consistently finds the balance between shared purpose and healthy conflict; open-minded to and interested in others' opinions.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership, management and people development skills. Accurately assess employee strengths and developmental needs.
- Create and maintain a cooperative and motivating team environment that promotes high performance standards and attainment of goals.
- Perspective and "Global Thinking"; must consider the impact and implications on other components of the organization when making decisions.
- Strong influencing skills; must be able to effectively influence and negotiate with diverse audiences without damaging relationships.
- Formulate long-term goals and approve shorter-term tactical plans that are cost-effective, efficient and realistic.
- Defend and effectively sell a point of view to both peers and upper management.
- Analyze a problem skillfully, formulate a logical rationale for the decision and take action. Be solution-oriented.
- Direct subordinates effectively towards the accomplishment of tasks and goals. Delegate responsibility and decision-making appropriately to other personnel.
- Drive change when appropriate – be a change champion.
- Display managerial courage.
- Adapt easily to diverse audiences and environments.
- Possess strong presentation, listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Preferred experience as a General Manager or leading a major business driving function i.e., IM, Merchandising, Stores, etc.
- 10-15 years of retail experience.
- 8-10 years of management experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top