Technical Designer, Women's Woven Bottoms and Denim
About the role
The Technical Designer facilitates the transition of product from initial design and trend concept end to end. He/She collaborates with cross-functional partners to land appropriate raw materials for both fit and functional intent as well as with business partners to obtain clear direction and consensus on design aesthetic, fit intent and construction. He/She is an expert responsible for leading fit sessions on live models or mannequins and working with Design to achieve design aesthetic and communicate fit and balance corrections to participants. He/she will leverage and develop key vendor relationships to support working efficiently and drive fit consistency to improve the customer experience.
What you'll do
- Execute design and fit intent into bulk production while maintaining corporate standard
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent.
- Effectively communicate fit intent, balance and construction to vendors via pattern diagram or directly on pattern.
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
- Ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories.
- Confirm compliance of garment to specifications and fit direction.
- Communicate fit and balance issues via pattern diagram or directly on pattern.
- Leads fit session on live model or mannequin and takes initiative of specific product (s).
- Assure seasonal and Brand deadlines are met.
- Identify and proactively engage supervisor and BP's when issues arise
- Collaborate with business partners on creation of a style to establish the initial spec and construction detail.
- Conducts self and others within established guidelines of the Corporate Fit Protocol, Gap Inc Code of Conduct, and Gap Inc. Purpose, Value
- Behaviors in fittings.
- Fosters open communication and team environment with all business partners; receives constructive feedback professionally.
- Holds self and others accountable for work commitments and outcomes.
- Participates in departmental and cross-functional meetings as appropriate.
- Evaluate garment to determine compliance of spec, construction, and fit intent.
- Insure size and fit consistency within Brand and across product category.
- Recommend raw material components to meet brand standard and uphold design intent.
- Identify potential product, quality and costing issues and make appropriate recommendations.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product and ensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional team; gather information and update all reports necessary for meeting.
- Expertise in patternmaking including grading, construction and fit.
- Knowledge of construction standards and manufacturing methods.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Organizational skills and ability to multi task.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve.
- Ability to effectively influence.
- Ability to convey necessary corrections.
- Strong computer skills (preferred programs: computer pattern programs, such as ADS, Gerber, Lectra, computer spec writing programs such as Gerber, PDM, Karat, email system i.e. Lotus Notes, MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word)
- AA or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Tamika N.Production Manager, Gap Factory
As Production Manager, Tamika sources all sorts of fabrics and clothing materials in order to help bring the Design and Merchandising Team’s vision to life for Gap Factory.
Back to top