Technical Designer, 3D
- San Francisco, CA
About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
About the role
This role will initiate the use of 3D technology, supporting the integration of the digital design processes within existing product development and production process. In addition, the Technical Designer- 3D will identify opportunities to reduce sampling through the use of 3D, whilst partnering with technical design, ensuring the best possible fit experience for the Old Navy customer.
What you'll do
- Fit Blocks + Grading: Partner with departmental technical designers by attending fit sessions and reviews to ensure 3D block fit is accurate with physical fit intent. Clean patterns for 3D drape and grading. Grade 3D blocks. Consistently monitor and validate fit grading, updating tech design partners if revisions are required.
- Block Storage and Library: Manage and maintain the block storage library and supporting documentation of best practices.
- Brand Avatars: Manage the brand avatar library and access for brand and vendors, analyze new avatars for integration as directed by manager.
- 3D Best Practices and Process: Manage and maintain the virtual fit protocol and standards for brand. Ensure supporting documentation is accurate and up to date for TD team and vendors. Support and manage calendar for enhancement updates as directed by manager.
- Support hindsight reporting on 3D process and vendor feedback. Engaging with GIS updates on vendor performance for 3D as directed by manager.
- Crowd Sourced Testing (CST): Create 3D silhouette blocks and/or renderings using 3D. Partner Production Strategy, Design and Merchandising to identify accurate print files, drapes and renderings of all colorways per style. Maintain CST deliverables and calendar for Technical Design.
- 3D Tech Design Support: Act as team liaison partnering with 3D providers/partners to integrate program enhancements + establish best practices as directed by manager. Support Tech Design Team and vendors on 3D process.
- 3D Training: Manage and support Old Navy's 3D training requirements in line with brand strategy.
- Fabric Library - Manage & maintain the 3D fabric Library for brand. Partner with 3rd parties as required for fabric scanning and trouble shooting.
- Innovation: Identify opportunities for 3D innovation within the business, test and research new 3D tools, attending conferences and networking events to discover new ways of working.
- Have an elevated sense of style and aesthetic with a continual pulse on current and relevant market trends and emerging technology.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product and ensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional team. Partner with cross functional teams to understand touchpoints within the product development timeline.
- Foster an open communication and team environment with all business partners, support socializing 3D processes with cross-functional partners and Tech Design partners.
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- AA or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent.
- 5-7 years' experience in the Apparel Industry including patternmaking and construction experience with knowledge of the total production timeline.
- Program experience working in 3D and using 3D for garment development/ patterns and design.
- Comprehensive understanding of physical fit; evaluation of body size, shape and the relationship of clothing and fabrics.
- Understanding of different silhouettes e.g. Tight / Loose / Away from Body and how this relates to fit and digital pattern creation.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot, problem solve and to follow and action against deadlines .
- Ability to lead initiatives and projects.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively influence.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of - PLM, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong digital computer skills. 2D and 3D. Gerber/ Lectra/ Acumark. 3D platforms - Optitex/ Browzwear/ Clo
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we've been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Back to top