Tax Analyst - Sales & Use Tax
Our past is full of iconic moments - but our future is going to spark many more. We're looking for the people who'll help make our next decade just as revolutionary as our first five. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love tomake a difference, you're the right fit. Come grow with us.
Responsible for the preparation, filing, and payment of assigned North American sales and use tax returns, reconcile assigned general ledger tax accounts, maintain tax calendar, respond to and resolve governmental notices, perform tax research and various projects as assigned.
Prepare and file assigned sales and use tax returns
• Prepare state/local sales, use and excise tax returns and process payments
• Ensure compliance with tax reporting requirements and regulations
• Administer and maintain sales and use tax return software
• Responsible for maintaining tax calendar as it applies to assigned state/country reporting compliance responsibilities
Reconcile assigned tax account(s)
• Prepare account reconciliation for assigned tax general ledger account(s)
• Responsible for maintaining compliance with all SOX controls as outlined by the department and company policy
Research and respond to government notices
• Review, negotiate and/or resolve sales, use, and excise tax notices
Accountable for Miscellaneous Tasks/Projects
• Conduct tax research
• Responsible for engaging with reporting supervisor to manage career growth and skill development
• Responsible for active participation and achievement of individual and team goals
• Establish and maintain effective lines of communication with internal and external business partners, and corporate management
• Participate in special projects as assigned
• Accountable for delivering excellent service to internal and external customers
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel with ability to use vlookup and pivot tables
• Detailed oriented, flexible, with the ability to prioritize duties
• Able to work under time constraints and multiple deadlines
Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or previous applicable multistate sales tax experience
• Basic understanding of GAAP
• Basic to intermediate level accounting skills
• MBA/MSA/MST/CMI/CPA Tax Certification a plus
• Relevant business experience a plus
• Previous multi-state tax experience a plus
• Research software experience a plus (RIA Checkpoint or CCH)
• Oracle and Vertex software experience a plus
• Retail Industry and compliance experience a plus
• One year account reconciliation experience a plus
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top