Staff Accountant/Analyst - Revenue Reconciliations
GENERAL SUMMARY: This position ensures the accurate and timely preparation of account reconciliations and resolution of outstanding issues. Position is responsible for interacting with various business partners in obtaining and exchanging information, as well as providing direction for required adjustments; performing various work assignments with limited supervision; conducting complex accounting activities; exercising analytical and problem solving skills to bring inconsistencies and problems to the attention of management, proposing resolution recommendations; and participating in various analytical and financial projects, as requested by management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and analyze monthly General Ledger account reconciliations for various accounts, ranging from low to moderate levels of complexity (ex. Reconcile cash accounts to bank statements; reconcile Accounts Receivable balances to a subledger)
- Responsible for maintaining an overall understanding of the operational functions related to each assigned account reconciliation
- Independently research reconciliation discrepancies, proposing solutions for resolution, and/or escalating to supervisor when appropriate
- Extensive use of Oracle Discoverer GL Inquiry tool to run accounting balance/activity queries for specific accounts/account strings
- Demonstrate knowledge of account representation by recognizing unusual account activity or balance
- Interface effectively with business partners to achieve a desired level of understanding, to obtain and exchange information, and to ultimately resolve outstanding reconciling items
- Accountable for delivering excellent service to internal (management, other BP's) and external (auditors) customers
- Create and prepare various ad-hoc reporting on a timely basis, as requested by auditors and/or management:
o Quarterly, Interim, and Year-End PBC schedules/requests from internal/external auditors
o Preparing/Compiling monthly account fluctuation analysis information for the monthly revenue close package
o Monthly accounting adjustments forecast
o Monthly investments schedule/comparison
o Monthly cash summary schedule
- Prepare relevant journal entries for the end of the month close process. Requires use and knowledge of Oracle Applications, Accounting system. Entries will range from simple monthly write-off entries of immaterial variances to complex accounting adjustments
- Take responsibility for and engage supervisor in managing career growth and skills development
- Learn how the cash process group operates within the Finance organization
- Understand basic financial concepts (e.g., Revenue Recognition Principles) and how they pertain to own role
- Learn standard methodologies to solve routine problems quickly
- Responsible for identifying and acting upon opportunities for improvement
- Complete applications database training or technical training (e.g. Access, Excel, ESSbase)
ORGANIZATION RELATIONSHIPS: Communicates effectively with business partners at all levels within the organization as well as some external partners including external auditors, and various third party service providers.
4400 MASTHEAD ST.
1) Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Proven understanding and knowledge of accounting (GAAP) principals (revenue recognition principles, allowance method of accounting, accrual accounting concepts, contra-asset account relationships, knowledge of the revenue accounting cycle, understanding of balance sheet and income statement relationships, knowledge of basic auditing standards),
- Attention to detail with good analytical and problem solving skills; must be able to identify variances within complex accounts and resolve with the appropriate BP's/management,
- Good judgment and understanding of responsibilities,
- Works well independently, but also elevates some issues to management when assistance is required,
- Provide assistance to and answers questions from BP's at the analyst level on the reconciliation team,
- Prioritizes daily workflow with little management supervision,
- Provides recommendations when addressing problems with management,
- Good organization, communication and interpersonal skills,
- Basic Microsoft Word Skills
- Intermediate/Advanced MS Excel skills
- Basic MS Access Skills
- MS Outlook skills
2) Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or 5-7 years work experience in a related accounting position
- Minimum 3-5 years with a degree preferred. Minimum 5-7 years with no degree preferred.
4) Physical Requirements:
- No physical requirements
5) CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Functional/Technical Skills: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment; Demonstrates active interest and ability to enhance and apply new functional skills; Chooses appropriate tools or technology for tasks; Experiments with new processes, tools or technologies to determine applicability; Has the capability and knowledge base to share technical skills with others.
- Time Management: Uses time effectively and efficiently; Values time; Concentrates efforts on the more important priorities; Gets more done in less time than others; Can attend to a broad range of activities.
- Written Communication: Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; Can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- Self Development – Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/herself; Understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches; Works to deploy strengths; Works on compensating for weakness and limits.
- Perseverance: Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; Seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top