Sr. Technical Designer – Athleta
Athleta is creating a new breed of premium, authentically active and fashion-fueled apparel for a life in motion. Our mission is to ignite a community of active, healthy confident girls who empower each other to realize their limitless potential.
We're looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do. Like community. Participation. Empowering others. Working as a team. Never forgetting that work isn't work without a little play - and, of course, being a part of something bigger. At Athleta we're always reaching for amazing - and that challenge is what fuels us!
Power of She
The Sr. Technical Designer teaches, mentors, and clearly communicates processes, procedures, and technical skills to Tech Designers. They are responsible for facilitating the transition of apparel styles from design concept and first prototype to a final, production ready prototype. Sr. Technical Designers lead fit sessions with the respective designer and cross-functional team by ensuring the technical, functional and physical fit are appropriately executed to achieve the design aesthetic. They identify potential production, quality and costing challenges and make recommendations. Sr. Technical Designers are responsible for effectively communicating to business partners and Global International Sourcing fit intent, balance and construction.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Have an elevated sense of style and aesthetic with a continual pulse on current and relevant market trends and emerging technology.
- Expertise in understanding of physical fit; evaluation of body size, shape and the relationship of clothing on the target body.
- Recommend fabric silhouette compatibility that ensures execution of design intent.
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent.
- Research, analyze and conduct competitive deep-dive fittings providing learnings and recommendations at style/category level on fit, sizing and construction.
- Ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories.
- Lead fit session on live model or mannequin, support direct report/Technical Designers in facilitation of fit sessions.
- Effectively communicate design's fit intent to vendors for bulk production while maintaining corporate standards.
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
- Evaluate garment to ensure global compliance of spec and construction.
- Strive for continual improvement that drives product and process enhancements.
- Identify and proactively Business Partners when issues arise.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product and ensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional team; gather information and update all reports necessary for meeting.
- Meet seasonal and Brand deadlines.
- Participate in departmental and cross-functional meetings as appropriate.
- Foster an open communication and team environment with all business partners with ability to effectively influence.
- Build and develop technical skills of direct report (if applicable).
- Closely connected and up to date with the workload of direct report, assisting with workload prioritization while sharing best practices to elevate the skills of direct report (if applicable).
- Hold self and others accountable for work commitments and outcomes.
- May include international travel up to 2 times per year.
ONE HARRISON STREET
- Minimum educational level
- AA or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent.
- Minimum experience
- 5+ years' experience in the Apparel Industry including patternmaking and construction experience with full knowledge of total production timeline.
- 2+ years' of people management experience.
- Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Mastery in fit and patterning making - including grading and construction manufacturing methods for multiple product types, categories and divisions.
- Proven track record of driving results through self and others.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve.
- Superior organizational skills with ability to multi task.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to interface regularly with senior/executive leadership.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively influence.
- Excellent computer skills – PLM, Illustrator, Photoshop, Gerber, Lectra, Optitex, Microsoft Office Suite
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top