Sr. Planning Manager - Inventory Management
GENERAL SUMMARY: Coordinate and manage the development, execution and communication of merchandise financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising, marketing, and financial objectives of a division. Develop and drive financial strategies to maximize business opportunities and mitigate risks, in partnership with cross-functional team. Lead the seasonal planning and in-season management processes for a division. Participate in Company initiatives to evolve the merchandise planning organization. Manage the activities and career development of the Planning division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage the financial success of the division / sub-brand by meeting sales, comp, gross margin, gross margin return on investment and inventory turn goals.
• Analyze historical data and current trends to identify risk and opportunity for the division.
• Collaborate with the merchant teams to develop and communicate a comprehensive pre-season strategy that aligns financial and product opportunities across the division.
• Manage pre-season planning process and review divisional financial plans. Ensure division / department plans support brand strategies.
• Manage the reconciliation of department targets and bottom-up plans.
• Own open to buy forecasts. Validate and present department financial forecast and strategies in OTB/MF process.
• Identify risks and opportunities across key product categories.
• Coach and train managers / planners to identify key learnings and develop future strategies.
• Analyze financial performance to pre-season strategies and recommend strategic business shifts as required.
• Review markdown recommendations to ensure alignment with financial strategies.
• Participate in and/or lead company and brand initiatives.
• Represent divisional point of view in key meetings.
• Communicate key timelines, deliverables, and expectations to planning and cross-functional team members in a timely manner.
• Communicate financial results, forecasts, and action plans to Director / Sr. Director and cross-functional team on a weekly basis.
• Partner with cross-functional counterparts to develop and communicate tactical plans to achieve timelines and deliverables.
• Set priorities, foster teamwork and set expectations for direct reports.
• Effectively manage and support the career development process of staff to ensure job satisfaction and retention.
• Provide timely and actionable feedback and direction to direct reports to foster rapid skill development, to identify strengths, and to improve performance.
• Lead goal-setting process to meet brand and individual development objectives.
• Recognize and reward quality performance.
Provide Director / Sr. Director with timely feedback on personal developmental and training needs.
• Develop bench-strength by identifying and facilitating training opportunities.
• Participate in resource and succession planning by giving feedback to Director / Sr. Director.
• Participate in Company recruiting and management training initiatives.
• Actively participate in brand/company sponsored planner training program (P&D training, RMP).
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of cross-functional team (merchandising, allocation, visual, production, planning, company planning)
- Ensure planning function can actively participate in and lead a collaborative process.
- Develop and maintain cross-divisional peer relationships to share best practices and align processes.
- Foster a collaborative, innovative, results-oriented work environment.
- Ensure planning and cross-functional goals are aligned.
- Lead teams to make and support timely, results-oriented decisions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to negotiate and influence effectively
- Able to effectively lead and develop results-oriented team
- Consistently prioritize and manage division workload and processes to meet company objectives
- Able to effectively manage and resolve conflict
- Able to give timely and actionable feedback to direct reports
- Able to develop, train, and motivate individuals
- Able to accurately assess employee strengths and developmental needs
- Able to communicate effectively and clearly, reflecting an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Build and maintain productive cross-functional relationships to drive business and create teams.
- Proactively identify business issues and develop creative solutions
- Able to deliver convincing presentations that clearly identify business issues and advise decisions to all levels of management
- Facility with personal computers, including the ability to leverage available resources and technical applications.
- Proficiency in Excel, Access a plus
2. Minimum educational level:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required
- Advanced degree preferred
3. Previous experience desired:
- 2-3 years experience as a Planning Manager or equivalent
- 4-6 years of retail buying, planning or equivalent experience
- 2-3 years experience managing a team
4. Physical Requirement
- Must be able to operate a computer
- Able to travel internationally or domestically for up to two weeks at a time.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top