Sr. Manager, Technical Design - Athleta
Athleta is creating a new breed of premium, authentically active and fashion-fueled apparel for a life in motion. Our mission is to ignite a community of active, healthy confident girls who empower each other to realize their limitless potential.
We're looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do. Like community. Participation. Empowering others. Working as a team. Never forgetting that work isn't work without a little play - and, of course, being a part of something bigger. At Athleta we're always reaching for amazing - and that challenge is what fuels us!
Power of She
The Sr. Manager of Technical Design is responsible for driving and evolving fit consistency, quality strategy, day-to-day operations, methods and measures of effectiveness and creates an environment of continuous process improvement for a multi division within the function. The Sr. Manager leads, inspires and motivates the team to achieve high levels of performance and engagement. They lead change and growth initiatives within the division, while demonstrating the ability to thrive in a dynamic fast paced work environment. The Sr. Manager demonstrates cross-functional proactive thought leadership to resolve execution dependencies across business partners. They assess business needs by prioritizing tasks, monitoring the workflow, removing roadblocks and supporting the staff in meeting deadlines.
This position requires a high level of technical, supervisory, leadership, process management and communication skills while developing and maintaining key talent.
- Have an elevated sense of style and aesthetic with a continual pulse on current and relevant market trends and emerging technology.
- Drive for continual improvement and innovation to support business strategies; sponsor newness by identifying and developing creative ideas and talents of others.
- Assess team's potential and limitations and clearly articulate a development strategy that develops, strengthens and inspires direct reports to meet their business and career goals.
- Own physical fit foundation for the division including the evaluation of body size, shape and the relationship of clothing on the target body and development of dress forms.
- Determine the need and timing of competitive fit deep-dive research on product categories within their division to maintain fit, sizing and construction relevant to the marketplace.
- Own divisional sizing and grade rule consistency across product categories in the PLM database.
- Protect brand integrity and consistency through department use and upgrades of block and fit camps based on changing business needs.
- Translate field input on customer fit and quality experience to strategically improve the consumers' future experience with product and service to increase customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Facilitate store visits and opportunities for the team to review competitors' fit and construction execution.
- Execute operational leadership – maintain divisional metrics to ensure balanced workload, oversee divisional fit sessions, and facilitate divisional and cross-functional meetings as appropriate.
- Foster an open communication and team environment with all business partners.
- Help team resolve production, quality and costing issues by engaging business partners to ensure brand integrity.
- Challenge business partners when appropriate to prevent re-work, redundancies, and inefficiency
ONE HARRISON STREET
Minimum educational level
- BA, AA or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent
- 8+ years' experience in the Apparel Industry including patternmaking and construction experience with full knowledge of total production timeline
- 5+ years' of people management experience
- Proven track record in leading a team to execute on an aligned 3 year business strategy driving results for the division year over year
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Expertise in fit and patterning making - including grading and construction manufacturing methods for multiple product types, categories and divisions
- Able to create and carry out development plans at all levels for growth and development
- Able to identify and address poor performance promptly and effectively
- Superior verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple way
- Superior interpersonal skills - works well as part of a cross-functional team and able to influence and interact at all levels of the organization including interfacing regularly with senior/executive leadership team
- Cultivate and maintain strong internal and external relationships with suppliers and business partners
- Strong computer skills – PLM, Illustrator, Photoshop, Gerber, Lectra, Optitex/3-D technology, Microsoft Office Suite
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Back to top