Sr Director, Marketing & Commercial Planning
Since the beginning, we've been inspired by everything women and girls are capable of, whether they're serious athletes or just getting into fitness. We create versatile premium performance apparel designed for a life in motion. Challenge fuels us and we are always reaching for the amazing.
We're looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do: the limitless potential of women and girls everywhere. If you share our passion for a healthy, active lifestyle, personal growth, innovative product and creating rewarding experiences - join our community. Athleta is a certified B Corp - put simply we put people and planet right up there with profit and we're committed to using business as a force for good.
Alone we are strong, united we thrive. Together, we create the Power of She.
A critical senior leadership member of the Athleta Marketing Team, the Senior Director of Marketing and Commercial Planning leads and acts as the guardian of Athleta and Athleta Girl's short and long term brand vision and strategies, ensuring they come to life across brand touchpoints. S/he also oversees the brand strategy development for new businesses and brands.
Additionally, t he Senior Director of Marketing and Commercial Planning is responsible for the development of Athleta and Athleta Girl's annual and seasonal omni marketing and messaging strategies and plans that grow brand awareness, drive traffic (new and existing), conversion, engagement and profitability that meet or exceed Athleta's budgeted sales and earnings goals.
The Senior Director of Marketing and Commercial Planning also oversees the cross functional commercial planning team in developing and executing annual and seasonal go-to-market strategies and tactics that ensure business goals are met / exceeded.
The Director of Athleta Women's Marketing and the Director of Athleta Girl Marketing report into this role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- In partnership with CMO, lead long term brand strategy for Athleta and Athleta Girl, including how to further deepen mission and brand values
- Support CMO in external and internal rollout and communications of Athleta's brand strategy
- Ensure brand mission and brand platform comes to life across all brand touchpoints, partnering closely with cross-functional leaders (primarily in marketing, creative, design, merchandising, field and HR)
- In partnership with CMO, oversee brand strategy for any new businesses and brands (i.e. category expansions or global, etc.); this may include brand positioning, brand architecture and naming
- Partner with CMO and other leadership members on longer-term brand eco-system and customer experience that helps drive new customer acquisition, irrational brand loyalty among existing customers and competitive differentiation
MARKETING AND MESSAGING STRATEGY
- Partner with CMO and marketing leadership team to develop annual and seasonal Athleta and Athleta Girl omni marketing strategies and plans that grow brand awareness, drive traffic (new and existing), conversion, engagement and profitability that meet or exceed our budgeted sales and earnings.
- Lead development of Athleta and Athleta Girl annual and seasonal brand messaging strategy and architecture, including clearly articulated hierarchy of brand and product stories, partnering closely with VP of Merchandising, VP of Design, VP of IM and Head of Athleta Girl. Messaging strategy must be in service to Athleta's long-term brand mission, platform and marketing / product LRP. Throughout the process, help advocate for break through, innovative product ideas.
- Brief all marketing and creative teams about seasonal strategies, campaigns and messaging/content priorities to kick off creative concepting and omni channel marketing activations.
- Act as key point person for omni channel marketing and creative team to help bring seasonal brief to life across touchpoints and implement powerful omni channel marketing plan.
- Act as key marketing leader across key Athleta pipeline milestones, representing overall seasonal marketing and messaging strategy.
- Oversee marketing integration and optimization across Athleta's cross-functional pipeline.
- Lead cross-functional Athleta and Athleta Girl teams in robust annual and seasonal commercial planning process to meet / exceed our traffic, sales and earnings goals
- Lead customer-driven annual commercial plan development; feed that back into larger 2019 plans cross functionally
- Lead pre-season commercial plan building - in partnership with cross functional teams - to ensure breakthrough platinum, lead gold and gold ideas are identified and executed seamlessly from end to end (major milestones include brainstorm, ideation, kick off, alignment, adoption, IR and bi-monthly planning meetings)
- Lead in season commercial planning - in partnership with cross functional teams - to identify current business challenges/opportunities and optimize go to market plans as needed (weekly meetings)
- At least 10-12 years brand marketing strategy, marketing planning and communications experience with fashion/apparel, consumer brand and/or marketing agency
- Demonstrated ability to think globally/strategically and turn information into effective strategies and drive results
- Balanced left and right brain marketer, with exceptional problem solving and analytical skills with proven ability to turn findings into executable plans
- Results-oriented with an exceptional track record of developing holistic marketing strategies and plans that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives
- Adept at creating annual and seasonal marketing communication plans, assessing marketing effectiveness, developing marketing mix, developing and allocating marketing spend, partnering with overall department to integrate marketing plans across all consumer touch points
- Well-versed in developing customer-driven marketing strategies based on consumer insights, competitive landscape and brand knowledge
- Ability to translate brand, product, trend and merchandising information/strategies into marketable, commercially powerful messages
- Proven ability to influence and be assertive across a highly complex matrix organization at all levels
- Inspirational leader with the ability to develop and coach highly talented, senior-level team members
- Proven thought leader within the department and cross-functional teams with the ability to galvanize and drive all parties toward a cohesive, actionable plan
- Has a strong aesthetic sense and understanding for the Athleta brand and apparel industry and ability to drive and maintain a singular brand aesthetic
- Proven strength at managing through ambiguity to actionable recommendations to move the business forward
- Strong oral, written and formal presentation skills including the ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple way
- Ability to innovate and drive change
- Capacity and desire to work in a fast-paced and complex environment
- Must have significant cross-functional and team leadership experience
- Bachelor's Degree Critical; MBA preferred
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Production Manager, Gap Factory
As Production Manager, Tamika sources all sorts of fabrics and clothing materials in order to help bring the Design and Merchandising Team’s vision to life for Gap Factory.
Back to top