Sr. Database Engineer - Digital Experience & Commerce
- San Francisco, CA
About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world.Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyonehas access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman,regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. BananaRepublic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gapinspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly madeessentials.
This simple idea-that we all deserve to belong,and on our own terms-is core to who we are as acompany and how we make decisions.Our teamis made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet.Ready tolearn fast, create with audacityand lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
At Gap Inc., we are passionate about creating and delivering quality software by utilizing Agile and DevOps best practices. We are creating Cloud-based solutions using Automation, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration & Delivery, Pair Programming, and story-based iterative development. In this role, you will have key responsibilities for enhancing, scaling and optimizing high-performance database systems powering one of the most trafficked e-commerce sites on the Internet!
We are looking for imaginative individuals experienced with cutting-edge database technologies, and state-of-the-art Engineering and DevOps practices powering commerce systems at scale.
What you'll do
- Work collaboratively with engineering and technical operations team members to build integrated, high-volume services
- Create robust database solutions and multi-task across initiatives while maintaining code simplicity and extensibility, reliability, scalability and performance
- Engage actively with team members to continuously improve engineering design, practices and methodology
- Engage in best-in-class DevOps practices with end-to-end "design, build and run" responsibilities
- Develop code using standards-based solutions, drive adoption via mentoring and guiding others
- 7-10 years of database engineering experience with a primary focus on multi-node database systems, backing extremely high-volume Java-based services
- In-depth knowledge and technical expertise with both SQL and NoSQL based database and data cache systems including Oracle RDBMS / RAC, MySQL, Postgres, MariaDB, Redis, HBase
- Experience running workloads on Public Clouds such as AWS, Azure or GCP, leveraging Cloud-native PaaS databases such as Cosmos, Azure SQL, RDS is a major plus.
- Solid experience in query tuning, performance optimization and database "build and run" with a DevOps mindset
- Expertise in designing and integrating with service-oriented architectures, keeping performance and security in mind.
- Experience with modern DevOps development tools including Git, Jenkins, JIRA, PagerDuty and logging/monitoring tools such as New Relic and Splunk
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
Back to top