Software Development Engineer I - Internship
Gap Inc. Technology is looking for exceptional talent with fresh ideas, cutting-edge skills, and a passion for technology. We’re not your average IT shop, and this isn’t your average internship. In your 10 weeks with Gap Inc. (tentative start date – June 12, 2017), you’ll have a voice in the room, be pushed to take risks, and play a critical role in innovative projects that are transforming retail technology. Ready to get started?
What’s In It for You?
As a Gap Inc. Intern, you will get to meet our senior executives and our leaders in technology. You will work on individual projects as well as a challenging group project that you will present to senior management at the end of the summer. You will learn that we work hard, but we play hard too. We invite you to participate in events, such as hanging out at a baseball game, happy hours, ping-pong tournaments, volunteering in the community, etc.
Here’s what you will do all summer!
We are expanding our retail operations globally and delivering a software platform that can quickly be adapted to different country requirements. Learn each facet of the SDLC (Software Development LifeCycle) using Agile Methodology/Delivery and rotate into each role on the team.
• Participate in an Agile work environment, pair with Senior Developers and QA Engineers to produce and deliver code and/or test cases using Agile practices
• Join in bi-weekly showcases, daily standup meetings, and bi-weekly retrospectives
• Use TDD (test driven development) practices with other Engineers, and Product Managers
• Learn hands-on use of development tools including Eclipse IDE and/or XCode
• Gain exposure to Continuous Integration and tools like Jenkins, Ruby, RSpec, Watir, Cucumber, SQL and NoSQL is a plus
• Create automated test cases in partnership with Developers and Product Managers
• Develop expertise in open-source automation and testing tools including Ruby, RSpec, Watir, Cucumber, Appium, SQL and NoSQL to automate effective tests of UI and server-side components
• Learn creating repeatable, maintainable, automated test suites
Here’s what you need to get the work done
• Undergraduate or graduate student with one year or less left to graduate in Management Information Systems, Information Systems, Information Technology, Integrated Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Engineering or related degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above
• Exposure to Object Oriented principles (Analysis and Design)
• Some experience and/or a strong desire to learn one or more of the following (it is understood that a candidate intern’s experience might vary widely from an academic, hobbyist, personal or professional projects):
- Mobile development with XCode and hybrid apps
- Java technologies, including Servlets, Struts/Tiles, JSP, JDBC, JMS, Spring, etc.
- Relational database concepts and data access (JDBC/DAO/SQL)
- Test automation tools (open source tools/language Ruby, Rails, Watir or equivalent is a plus) preferred
- Defect management systems
- A desire to evolve excellent problem solving skills; meticulous & methodical
Back to top