Job Description: Partner with leader to develop and communicate seasonal department/division strategies to key functional areas and ensure (broad) team is focused toward a common goal Develop and gain approval for Department/Divisional seasonal strategies and prioritize tasks to support Division strategies and meet or exceed financial targets. Effectively partner with cross-functional team members to develop key concepts, key items, promotional strategies and store assortments to ensure that the collection is commercially viable and provides an exciting customer store experience. Recommend final assortment ensuring that all redundancies in product assortment are eliminated Approve the ranking of all styles within the Department based on historical and current product performance, as well as marketplace information Position Department investments to ensure that smart risks are being taken, that Basic businesses are protected and financial targets are met. Gain approval for the Department's seasonal investments and quarterly financial plans. Validate product costing and placement strategies with Production. Use market intelligence and competitive market information to formulate and guide department pricing strategies. Identify in-season business opportunities and risks through analyzing sales performance and gathering marketplace information; change future Department strategies in-season, where needed, and provide appropriate and timely direction to the cross-functional team in order to react quickly to customer and business trends. Actively listen to all members of the cross-functional team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team feels ownership in the business. Provide people leadership within the Japan team and partner with team members and/or direct reports to provide them with the tools, training, development and feedback they need to grow and meet/exceed business and professional goals. Build relationships through effective collaboration that contributes to a high performing team. Proactively work with North American merchants, cross-functional and Japan teams to ensure synergy between markets. Ensure PO work is completed each season Test new tools for International use only
- Drive for results; can be counted on to consistently meet and exceed goals with a minimal of supervision
- Dealing with Ambiguity and Learning on the Fly; must be a self-starter who is flexible and comfortable operating and leading others through "the gray"
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Perspective; must be able to take the broadest possible view of a situation to determine the best course of action
- Comfort around Higher Management; must be able to effectively communicate and demonstrate command with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated organizational agility; knowledgeable how organizations work and able to use that information to navigate different organizations and cultures effectively
- Composure; must be a calming presence and be able to remain cool and calm when faced with the unexpected
- Strong prioritization and time management skills; must be able to prioritize and facilitate multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others; must have a track record of using formal and informal tactics to develop and direct others effectively towards the accomplishment of tasks and goals.
- Must be comfortable delegating responsibility and decision-making appropriately to other personnel
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3-5 years of retail buying experience & 1-3 years of management experience.
- Experience as a Merchandiser or equivalent.
- Experience leading others in a direct report or cross-functional leader capacity
- Ability to work non-traditional work hours, as needed, to communicate with international partners e.g., may need to begin day at at noon and work until 9:00 p.m. to ensure cross over hours with Japan
- Ability to travel Domestically and Internationally
- Ability to transport, maneuver and visually evaluate merchandise.
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Back to top