Senior Merchandiser, Women's - Old Navy Online
Old Navy makes current American fashion essentials accessible to every family. From day one, Old Navy was a revolution. We were something the world had never seen - fabulous, affordable fashion. We didn't take ourselves too seriously, and we broke the industry's rules. We said fashion didn't have to be just for rich people - it could be for everyone. We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can shop for their must-have fashion essentials online as well as in one of our 1,000+ stores located globally.
When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path (and a pretty awesome one at that). We believe that style and quality should be accessible to everyone and we work hard to make that possible. Truth is, in fashion, it’s easy to be exclusive. It takes a lot more creativity, guts and drive to be inclusive. What we believe in today is exactly what we believed in when we started: we’re on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Sound good to you?
Old Navy – a brand for everyone, a place for you.
- Leads merchant team of a single division or multiple departments. Develops, communicates and drives seasonal business strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and customer expectations. Manages team to create a simple and compelling product presentation that will inspire the customer to buy. Motivates and coaches the merchandising team to be customer-focused, innovative, fast and team-oriented in their work. Prioritizes the workload and plays an active role in training merchants within the division. Demonstrates smart risk-taking in investment strategies and merchandise point of view. Shares best practices and key learnings across divisions. Acts as a role model within the division. Builds strong partnerships with other members of the cross-functional team and brand counterparts.
- Develop and gain approval for online business strategies, merchandise messages, and seasonal assortments that incorporate the Division’s objectives.
- Develop/decide product assortment, merchandise point of view, shop strategies, key item positioning, and promotional plans, ensuring that the collection is compelling, commercially viable and supports overall business objectives.
- In collaboration with Planning, establish seasonal strategies and financial plans; identify growth opportunities within division. Ensure the financial success of multiple departments by meeting or exceeding sales, GM, and inventory goals.
- Position department investments to ensure that smart risks are being taken, basic businesses are protected and financial targets are met.
- Identify business opportunities and risks in-season through analyzing sales and web performance metrics; provide appropriate and timely direction to business partners and team in order to react quickly to customer and business trends considering all business levers such as site changes, inventory management and marketing opportunities.
- Drive online exclusive businesses strategies, including product development, promotional strategies, and product presentation.
- Lead team through web management to create a compelling product experience on the site, to include inspirational merchandise presentation, simple and intuitive category navigation, and clear and accurate product details.
- Maintain strong awareness of competitive landscape, both click and brick.
- Effectively communicate seasonal division strategies to key functional areas in order to focus the team towards a common goal.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to ensure that the web site effectively communicates the merchandising strategies.
- Actively listen to all members of the cross-functional team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team feels ownership in the business. Must have a global perspective-authoritative voice with cross-functional teams as well as clear understanding how business decisions may impact them.
- Build robust cross-brand and business relationships; share information where appropriate.
- Demonstrate strong presentation skills, become the merchandise authority of the division.
- Motivate, inspire and supervise team of merchandisers, assistants and coordinators. Support employees in developing goals for themselves and provide them with the appropriate tools and training for their professional development.
- Act as a role model within the Division by coaching and teaching team members to work cooperatively and to remain focused.
- Partner with Planning to build and monitor balanced financial plans and identify future business opportunities.
- Partner with Marketing and Design to ensure a compelling site and customer experience that supports overall business objectives and meets customer expectations.
- Partner with Production to ensure timelines, deliverables, and site capabilities are workable.
- Serve as a brand steward, through both product assortment and site experience as it relates to product; gain support and trust through shared learnings and customer insight.
- Partner with brand production and tech services to ensure efficiency and accuracy as it relates to exclusive product and/or businesses.
- Possess a clear understanding of financial measurements and how to impact them.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the target customer and of product trends.
- Demonstrate management skills.
- Possess strong presentation, listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Analyze a problem skillfully, formulate a logical rationale for the decision and take action.
- Be aware of the impact and implications of decisions on other components of the organization.
- Demonstrate smart risk-taking.
- Adapt well to diverse audiences and environments.
- Demonstrate the organizational ability to facilitate multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience as a Merchandiser or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of retail buying experience.
- 1-2 years of management experience.
Back to top