Senior Manager, Store Standards, Gap Inc.
The Store Standards team is a critical Store Development function that creates and manages the Architectural and Engineering professional instruments (store templates) used to document the vendor/construction provided materials, details, finishes, equipment, and specifications for each of Gap Inc's 5 brands and sub-concepts. These standards are used by out-sourced professional Architects and Engineers to ensure consistency/efficiency in the store program, drive compliance, and streamline professional fees and services. The Senior Manager of Store Standards is an industry professional and technically proficient in the development of design standards and technical drawings; is experienced in architectural production, vendor fabrication, and construction techniques; is able to research and identify cost savings and Value Engineering opportunities. The Senior Manager of Store Standards is responsible for the performance of outsourced architecture, engineering, and code consultants. The Senior Manager of Store Standards works closely with Global Creative, Architecture, Procurement, Sourcing, and Construction teams.
- Learning Agility
- Customer Impact
- Collaboration & Influencing
This is an individual contributor role who must have strong organizational skills to manage multiple brand templates. This position must be a key partner with our procurement team on brand OFI commitments. This individual will work with teams across the enterprise.
- Work closely and collaboratively with Creative team in the development, documentation and roll-out of new concepts and store elements; collaborate to propose detail/finish solutions; partners to review and plan-check new prototypes, designs, and components
- Collaborate with Architecture/Engineering and Procurement Execution teams on overall architectural graphic standards and conventions, template approach, techniques, and technologies
- Manage out-sourced consultants to develop Architectural and Engineering technical professional instruments: prototypical plans, elevations, details, finishes, materials, equipment and specifications for each of Gap Inc.'s brands and concepts; review cost proposals and align on scope of services
- Partner with Strategic Sourcing and Procurement teams to appropriately document sourced items in project templates: material/fixture technical drawings, on-site assembly needs, and build requirements
- Work with Gap Inc. Loss Prevention, Store Technology, Telecommunications, and Operations to document store build requirements, details, and specifications
- Work closely with Gap Inc. Marketing teams to document construction graphics, barricades, and permanent in-store marketing elements
- Research jurisdictional, national, and industry codes/requirements relative to the store program – identify concerns and recommend solutions
- Research Gap Inc. risk management, compliance, and operating standards relative to the store build program and partner to document issues and alternatives
- Work closely with Construction team and General Contractors to assess and document construction techniques, attachment details, sequencing etc. to enable efficient, high quality project construction
- Work closely with Store Maintenance teams to document lifecycle costs, maintenance requirements, upgrades/useful life of equipment, and material safety and data information
- Develop material and finish specifications to inform store build and protect Gap Inc. warranty
- Research and identify consolidation and leverage opportunities across Gap Inc. Construction kit of parts to reduce costs; develop presentations and participate in executive approvals; manage year over year cost savings information
- Prepare and present complex project scope, trade-off and cost stories that cater to appropriate audiences; executives, functional leaders, managers, etc.
- Builds rapport and manages outsourced industry experts, as required, to supplement internal knowledge
- Develop and implement strategy/timelines for new concepts, prototypes, and on-going design changes
- Develop, implement and maintain Architecture/Engineering templates, catalogues, databases etc.
- Develop, implement and maintain Maintenance specifications, cut-sheets, catalogues, databases etc.
- Drive alignment across Gap Inc. Operations, LP, GST on store build strategy and components
- Identify opportunities to streamline, simplify, and leverage components and finishes across concepts
- Identify Value Engineering cost reduction opportunities, present, document savings/timing
- Identify Total-Cost-of-Ownership insight to balance first-cost against on-going maintenance costs
- Provide technical support to store design, sourcing, architecture & construction teams
- Stay abreast of industry and code trends and make recommendations for optimal support package for Gap Inc.
- Source, onboard, and manage outsourced architecture, engineering, and code consultants
- Minimum experience: 6+ years architecture, engineering experience
- Deep knowledge/experience re: retail materials, methods, and details
- Self-starter, highly collaborative, able to translate technical information to lay audiences
- Willingness to learn from, and to teach others
- Solid verbal and written skills
- High proficiency in Excel and Microsoft office applications; deep knowledge of CAD, BIM and architectural tools
- Demonstrated initiative with ability to work independently and with teams interchangeably
- Strong quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills
- Bachelor's degree in industrial design, architecture, engineering, construction, and/or applicable field; professional degree preferred
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven track record to lead and manage projects to completion
- Demonstrated ability to manage tight deadlines and prioritize workload
- Must have great attention to detail and work well under pressure
- Must be comfortable working in cross-functional teams
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Director Of Merchandising, Gap
As Merchandising Director of Men’s and Women’s fitness, Dan lets customers take the lead on GapFit’s collection. He's involved in many fashioning functions, from detailing design to sampling, swatches, selection and clothing production.
Back to top