Senior Manager, Design Engineering, Gap Inc.
The Senior Manager in Design Engineering is an industry professional with working knowledge and practical experience with fixture design and manufacturing; hardware and equipment selection and specifications; and raw and finish material detailing and specification. This position works with key vendors, manufacturers, industrial designers and code consultants to develop shop drawing, prototype, and roll-out OFI and VM components; ensures key product knowledge, documentation and decisions remain within Gap Inc.; identifies and initiates opportunities to better balance aesthetics/cost/functionality; identifies, researches, and documents opportunities to consolidate components across Gap Inc.; identifies savings opportunities and trade-offs.
- Innovation Cultivator
- Drives for Results
- Collaboration and Influencing
The Senior Manager of Design Engineering works closely with Global Creative, Store Standards, Architecture, Procurement, Sourcing, and Construction teams.The Design Engineering team is a critical Store Development function that creates and transforms ideas and concepts into solid, buildable, scalable components for each of Gap Inc.'s 5 brands and sub-concepts.
- Partner with Creative team in the development, documentation and roll-out of new fixture concepts and store elements
- Develop vendor/manufacturing technical specifications and shop drawings: prototypical plans, elevations, details, finishes, materials, equipment and specifications
- Partner with Strategic Sourcing to research and document supply chain, material availability/suitability, manufacturing methods; develop options and trade-offs to ensure designs and fabrication requirements are commercially effective, and asses RFP
- Partner with Store Standards team and Visual Merchandising teams to document sourced items in project templates and manage fixture capacities and flexibilities
- Identify and research jurisdictional, national, and industry codes/requirements relative to manufactured items
- Identify and research Gap Inc. risk management, compliance, and operating standards and inform/create policy as required
- Collaborate with Store Standards and Procurement teams to manage enterprise content: specifications, shop drawings, materials, cut-sheets etc
- Identifies total-cost-of-ownership for key elements, items, finishes and components and identifies trade-offs and opportunities to balance first cost with on-going investment/maintenance requirements
- Identifies consolidation and leverage opportunities across Gap Inc. kit of parts to reduce costs; prepares presentations and participates in updates and reporting with Brand and Corporate executives; manages year over year cost savings information
- Work closely with Construction team and General Contractors to assess and document on-site assembly techniques, installation needs, attachment details, sequencing etc. to enable efficient, high quality project construction
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Ability to provide constructive feedback
- Self-starter, collaborative, able to translate technical information to lay audiences
- High proficiency in Excel and Microsoft office application, CAD, BIM and architectural tools
- Excellent time management and ability to prioritize with attention to detail
- Strong quantitative analysis, critical thinking skills and problem solving skills
Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design, Architecture, Engineering, Construction, and/or applicable field; professional degree preferred
- 6+ years industrial engineering, architecture, engineering, fixture manufacturing
- Experience in retail manufacturing and sourcing
Meet Some of Gap Inc.'s Employees
Theresa engineers innovative tech solutions with a small agile development team. Specifically, they work to bring mobile applications to the hands of Gap’s store associates.
Back to top