Senior Legal Counsel
Gap Inc. is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to join its Global Legal Department and Shanghai-based legal team to support the company's growing retail business in Greater China (including mainland of China, Hong Kong and Taiwan). This position primarily handles legal support for retail leasing & construction, real estate related operational issues and disputes, commercial contracts and other allocated legal areas to support business priorities and expansion in the market with increased complexity in competition and regulatory environment.
- Provide effective and efficient support to the Greater China store growth across all relevant aspects, including in respect of new opening stores and operating stores, such as drafting, reviewing and negotiating retail leases and other real estate related contracts as needed for lease amendment, termination, renewal, construction, design, maintenance, remodel etc.
- Provide legal advice on real estate related operational issues and manage claims and potential disputes arising from store lease implementation or business daily operations, including attendance at hearings and on settlement negotiations, as required.
- Ensure legal services are supported by effective and efficient tools, templates and processes, including to continuously develop work management tools, various real estate related contract templates, and to improve various processes in terms of legal issue escalation and decision making in partnership with business partners as appropriate.
- Provide legal support to one or more allocated legal areas in support of business priorities and expansion in the market with increased complexity in competition and regulatory environment.
- Work with and manage outside counsel as appropriate and within budgetary guidelines to ensure appropriate, effective and cost efficient use of services.
- Support initiatives to drive collaboration and alignment between the Greater China Legal team and the Legal Department members in San Francisco and other regions.
- May Manage, coach and guide direct report(s) and support their individual development plan.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Bilingual (fluent) in verbal and written English and Mandarin.
- A team player with strong collaboration, interpersonal and organizational skills; excellent, persuasive written and oral communication skills, including an ability to effectively and concisely communicate to and influence business leaders.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment, prioritizing and juggling multiple matters.
- A self-starter and problem-solver with excellent judgment and discretion, with ability to take a leadership role in identifying potential risk, analyzing issues, assessing and balancing legal risks and business rewards, and driving resolution in partnership with the appropriate business partners.
- Deep understanding of the legal team's roles/responsibilities and the importance of providing professional and value-added legal advice in a US company. Courage to stick to the "Always Doing the Right Things" principle.
- Strong managerial skills to coach, lead and develop others, and ability to set strategic direction and prioritize work for the team to improve productivity, efficiency and results.
2) Minimum Education Level
- Law degree from reputable university in China.
- Nationwide Lawyer Qualification Certificate (passed China Bar).
3) Experience Required
- Typically has 10 or more years of law firm and/or corporate legal department post-qualification experience.
- Experience in real estate law, general commercial law or dispute resolution.
- Retail experience or dispute resolution experience preferred .
- Experience with Western companies/culture preferred.
4) Other Requirements
- Travel as needed within China and to the United States.
Back to top