Senior Director, Women's, Digital Merchandising
- San Francisco, CA
About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you're choosing a different path. From day one, we've been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we're family.
About the role
The Senior Director, Digital Merchandising is responsible for the creation of a comprehensive seasonal framework that aligns product strategies with financial goals, ensuring that end to end sales, gross margin, and inventory strategies hit divisional and online plans. Provides the overall strategic visions for the team to create a compelling seasonal framework by division that aligns product strategies with financial goals. Lead partnership and collaboration with Global Merchandising to ensure the seasonal, global assortment meets the online customer and business needs. Oversee the divisional site merchandising strategies, ensuring alignment with the product, financial and marketing goals. Successfully coach, develop and guide a Digital Merchandising team.
What you'll do
- Oversee the development, execution and communication of the management of inventory that supports the merchandising, marketing and financial objectives of a division within Old Navy Online.
- Accountable for the development and communication of divisional product strategies that align with financial goals for the season.
- Oversee the financial success of a division by meeting sales, GM, and inventory goals.
- Accountable for monthly open to buy forecast for a division, and partner with the lead of the Online Strategy team to identify financial risk and solutions to hit sales and inventory plans.
- Oversee divisional pricing recommendations and strategies that align with the financials plans.
- Oversee the development of seasonal hindsight and the strategic opportunities use to inform pre-line.
- Drive for continual innovation and improvement--recommend strategies to be leveraged across divisions and departments.
- Drive innovation in all milestones through the ability to influence business partners.
- Lead the development of strategic vision for category positional across the division with perspective to the overall business.
- Oversee the identification of areas of opportunity to make meaningful investment shifts supported by marketing and site execution.
- Oversee and support strategic product vision that delivers against assortment.
- Oversee team through web management to create a compelling product experience on the site, to include inspirational merchandise presentation, simple and intuitive category navigation and clear and accurate product details.
- Lead partnership with product and design teams to communicate knowledge and understanding of the customer experience as it relates to product, shopping paths, experience and interaction with marketing.
- Lead a cross-functional team to deliver on a strategically defined linking strategy that aligns to marketing ideas (tied to investment) to optimize conversation and drive the customer to the best possible site experience.
- Deliver on best in class product assortment architecture across the division.
- Provide larger vision to the team around the bigger picture implications of the site experience (interplay across the entire division of sorts experiences, linking strategies, and how they inter-relate to overall marketing experience.
- Drive best in class experiences across both mobile and desktop supported by a deep knowledge of technical features and functionality with an understanding how the site functions (limitations and opportunities).
- Motivate, build and develop skills of the team.
- Challenge business partners when appropriate to prevent re-work, redundancies, and inefficiency.
- Foster open communication and a team environment with all business partners.
- Hold self and others accountable for work commitments and outcomes.
- Cultivate an environment of continuous learning with development opportunities and clear career-paths ensuring a strong and diverse talent pipeline.
- Oversee operational leadership - ensure balanced workload, facilitate divisional and cross-functional meetings as appropriate, regulate project timelines and ensure all deliverables are met.
- BA or BS Preferred
- 7-10 years merchandising, retail buying, or equivalent experience
- 5-7 years managing a team
- Business Acumen/Drives Results; Embodies curiosity and takes action to drive results, digging into the business to find opportunities for improvement. Asks the right questions of the team to uncover business opportunities. Takes actions to improve ability to deliver against existing goals. Sets new and stretch goals to self and team. Possess a clear understanding of financial measurements and how to impact them.
- Customer Focus; Demonstrate knowledge of the target customer and of product trends.
- Demonstrated Strategic Orientation; ability to anticipate and articulate future business needs and respond with the appropriate strategies.
- Innovation Cultivator; exceptional ability to problem solve, develop creative solutions, and demonstrate resourcefulness.
- Proven track record in leading a team to execute on an aligned multi-year business strategy driving results for the brand year over year.
- Strong Talent Builder skills; proven ability to motivate, lead, empower, and influence others.
- Ability to lead and guide a team through change.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, works wells as part of a cross-functional team with the ability to collaborate, influence, and interact at all levels of the organization.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.
- Employee stock purchase plan.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- See more of the benefits we offer.
Back to top